The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2013, 01:23 AM   #1
fragtagninja

Night Sights and Trigger Jobs

I have been looking into purchasing a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm for CC in the summer. My question is while I hear the trigger on the shield is leaps and bounds better than the standard M&P's if I don't like it and do a trigger job will this void S&W's warranty? What about night sights? The shield being a carry gun really should come with them and I can't see having a carry gun without night sights.

Any thoughts?

Or maybe alternatives that come with night sights?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:43 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Dave Bowie; Bowie Tactical Concepts....

The M&P line has been around for a few years. They have a strong following with armed professionals & the shooting sports industry.
For specific questions about the S&W Shield pistols, I'd review or maybe contact top pistolsmith & SWAT unit commander; David Bowie of www.BowieTacticalConcepts.com . Bowie is widely known for M&Ps & Glocks.

For sights, Id look at the Trijicon HD line or maybe the XS tritium.
The Shield is new but after market parts & services will soon follow.

ClydeFrog
Old April 23, 2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Kevin_d77

I have been looking at options too. I think I am leaning towards the Trijicon HD's which are for the M&P series, but not specifically for the Shield, but still fit w a minor overhang. The XS Big Dots were designed specifically for the Shield if you feel like stepping away from the traditional sight picture. TruGlo TFO's are another option that has both a tritium vial and fiber optic in the front sight but they are long sights and may take away from the already small sight radius of the 3.1" barrel.

Apparently APEX has made a Shield carry/duty trigger system for the Shield, however I'm not a fan of modifying the trigger on a carry or defensive gun. That is a decision only you can make. It's said to drop the trigger pull to around 5 lbs or so.

That's all the info I got for the neat little pistol!
Old April 23, 2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Madcap_Magician

Trijicon HDs for the M&P can be made to fit the Shield if you don't mind a little bit sticking off the side of the rear sight dovetail.

Ameriglo makes the similar I-Dot sights (less the fluorescent insert) for the Shield.

XS makes the Big Dot and Standard Dot for the Shield.

Apex Tactical has drop-in trigger kits for the Shield, but the Shield trigger is better than the stock M&P trigger.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5
fragtagninja

All sound like good suggestions gentlemen. I know Trijicons have a good rep in particular, but what price range are we talking with installation? If the shield is $450 and the sights cost $200 plus another $50 for install we have just turned a $400 gun into a $700 gun. Almost double the cost. That said $200 for sights is harsh, but I think it gets my point across. Cost/effectiveness is always a factor for me. I sprung big for my first gun because I wanted to be sure I would always have at least one gun that I can count on. From here on I would like to be a bit more economically minded as my Sig was just more money than I wanna spend on a single item.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Kevin_d77

Trijicons are about 130, you can get them installed for like 30.

It's still a great gun no matter how you slice it!