The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
deerslayer303

What in Hades??

Well I was playing with the .58 Carbine this morning, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the bore is so much brighter than my GPR (<<brand new barrel). So I did some googlin, Investarms chrome lined the bores on these things. My question is why? You are not running a 100 rounds down that pipe at one time like you would with something like a AR or AK. And my understanding is chrome lining is done for the purpose of lessening the wear on a barrel from lots of rounds fired. Just thought it was wierd to see chrome lining on a ML.

Last edited by deerslayer303; January 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
salvadore

I think you mean hades.

Would it be for corrosion protection?
Old January 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #3
deerslayer303

There we go I fixed it . I don't know, maybe for corrosion protection, but thats an awful lot of expense for the maker to go through on a ML. But from what I know from the black rifle, is that a chrome lined barrel is not as accurate as one that is not lined.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Pahoo

I like them !!

My last Traditions SideLock, had a chomed barrel and the difference is fairly stark. When they talk about a bore being bright and shiney, these are a mirror finish. I find that they clean up easier and easier to load. I still don't trust letting any barrel sit, after firings but would not be surprised if these bore are more forgiving. I'll bet if you contact teh factory, they could give you greater detail. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Great Idea Pahoo,

I've contacted Investarms before and they are very helpful and quick to respond. I'll do that and see what they say.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
mykeal

Speculation:

There is much discussion on the internet and around the pot bellied stove about range rod/ramrod materials. At one time or another almost every material suggested has been bad-mouthed as being 'hard on the rifling/bore/crown/etc.' Perhaps muzzleloaders need the chrome treatment to offset this abuse.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
deerslayer303

Quote:
There is much discussion on the internet and around the pot bellied stove about range rod/ramrod materials. At one time or another almost every material suggested has been bad-mouthed as being 'hard on the rifling/bore/crown/etc.' Perhaps muzzleloaders need the chrome treatment to offset this abuse.
Could be Mykeal,
Because even the crown is chromed, so that could very well be the reason.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

I didn't know that some ML bores were chromed. Learn something new everyday.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Pahoo

Ghosts of the past

Quote:
Perhaps muzzleloaders need the chrome treatment to offset this abuse.
Perhaps more so at one time as we have learned some "hard" lessons about glass rods. These are pretty much a thing in the past but you still see many older cut and recrowned barrels. I still have many full length glass ramrods that I don't allow within ten feet of any of my SideLocks. One day at the range a fellow saw me using one of my bore guides on my range-rod and he commented that it looked like a pretty neat idea.....

Many a Big- [I] or Investment Arms barrels, had chromed bores.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I think my TC thunderhawk is chromed. Sure is shiny one way or the other.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:20 PM   #11
arcticap

The Traditions nickeled Deer hunter has a nickeled bore.
It's a very slick coating that cleans up more easily than the non-nickeled.
I think that it has some advantages over a plain steel bore including the rust prevention. Perhaps it does have slightly lesser accuracy than non-nickeled barrels.

[rhetorical question] If a chrome lined 5.56 barrel does suffers from slightly lesser accuracy, then which will get shot out faster and will become even more inaccurate sooner, the chrome lined or non-chrome lined 5.56 barrel?
My son bought an older upper with a non-chrome lined bore & chamber, and the chamber needed to be polished because it was a bit rough from oxidation maybe????, and it wouldn't eject properly. the cases kept getting stuck. He sold it and bought a new upper that was chrome lined.

Today's Investarms barrels are probably more accurate than the older chrome ones, but some folks have complained about how fast that the new ones can lose their accuracy, i.e. - within 5 years or less depending on the number of shots fired. That may indicate that they either use softer steel or the barrels lose their edge for some other reason such as poor maintenance.
Perhaps the chrome lining simply increases barrel longevity.

Last edited by arcticap; January 4, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:32 PM   #12
deerslayer303

Quote:
[rhetorical question] If a chrome lined 5.56 barrel does suffers from slightly lesser accuracy, then which will get shot out faster and will become even more inaccurate sooner, the chrome lined or non-chrome lined 5.56 barrel?
haha very true! Never thought of it that way. I do know that after shooting the little carbine with the chrome bore the other day. It cleans up so easily and after 3 shots a swab down the barrel and there was NO residue in there! Less accurate or not, the blast of fire and sparks out of the barrel, and not being able to see the target for about 5 seconds after pulling the bang switch is all the treat I need!
Old January 4, 2013, 08:34 PM   #13
arcticap

Not too many chrome lined muzzle loaders any more.
IIRC, the discontinued Chinese made Navy Arms Country Boy .50 and 12 gauge were chrome lined and the .50 was reported to be very accurate.
The rest of the gun might fall apart, but that bore was good.
And some of the Pedersoli shotguns are chromed, for shooting especially hard shot maybe?
Old January 4, 2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Hawg

Pedersoli shotguns are chrome lined. Mine was made before they starting chroming them but its highly polished. Still shiny bright after 30 some odd years.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:57 PM   #15
North East Redneck

I'm pretty sure my Traditions inline 12 gauge has a chrome bore.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Perhaps the chrome lining simply increases barrel longevity.
Spot on statement Sir.
Machining a barrels material is allot easier when it doesn't have to meet Rockwell hardness. Cheaper to chrome line a barrel than to alloy the steel with chrome at the foundry in order to get the same results. Chrome coating or liner takes all the abuse. i.e. corrosion, friction, and heat all in stride. Chrome is still considered one or the hardest materials known to man even to this day.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:50 PM   #17
deerslayer303

Interesting Sure Shot, SO! You mean to tell me I can run a KABILLION balls through this thing and she will still be ok? I've often worried about wearing it out. Since its no longer made and is somewhat of a collectors item in my eyes.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
SO! You mean to tell me I can run a KABILLION balls through this thing and she will still be ok?
I don't see why not. So long as you do your part. (maintenance) Propellant is perhaps the most detrimental item to effect a barrels life span. Certainly not soft lead in a simple >muzzle loader type weapon.