The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Newton24b

current times and purchasing

at this time is it best to focus on a specific caliber, or type of weapon?

ie should one spend time on getting the "best" say 357 that fits their goal, or simply focusing on any revolver in that caliber wether it be a snub, da, or dasa, dao.. etc?
Old April 17, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Ferretboy

I say its best to not let the scare get to you and just hold on for what you want at a decent price.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
ranchito457

I say in this time spend your money on any new purchase you can pick up on deal and dont spent one red cent on these crazy ammo prices.wait it out till the end of the year..Seen this before and yes it will pass!!!
Old April 17, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
s4s4u

Quote:
any revolver in that caliber
Lord NO, there are night and day differences. Look for what you want and wait til the right deal comes. This frenzy will pass eventually.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
riggins_83

With revolvers get what you want, don't go with something based on pressure.
Old April 18, 2013, 02:03 AM   #6
DaleA

Keep an open mind. I 'think' (but I don't really know) that the feeding frenzy is aimed at semi-autos and there are a few good revolver deals to be had out there.

I've mentioned this before but in February I saw an excellent Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk for $300 sitting in a darn near empty display case at my local gun shop.

I certainly wouldn't buy something just to have something that goes bang and I also I think things will get back to 'normal' in a few months.

So keep looking but don't buy into the scare mentality.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Newton24b

the thing is, theres almost nothing in the world of revolvers on the current market. a few places have something i could be happy with, but theres a lot of leeway because i actually dont need it for hunting, or for self defense.

seriously, id rather just use my DEER RIFLE for both things, pure effeciency yet in the end id want something that could do both.
Old April 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #8
BigJimP

Yes, its a good time to focus on a specific caliber in exactly the gun you want....put it on special order if you have to.....and don't get caught up in the buying frenzy.

Just be patient....

When you least expect it ....you'll find exactly what you want !
Old April 18, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Newton24b

well how do you really commit to putting that much money on backordering a gun that you probably wont see until christmas if you listen to the gunstores?
Old April 18, 2013, 11:16 PM   #10
LewSchiller

I've purchased two .38 Special revolvers so far this year. Both were at or just below MSRP.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:10 AM   #11
AID_Admin

I think is some cases there is more talks about shortage than actual shortage, at least when it comes to revolvers. I've been reading all kinds of posts on this forum about back orders on most popular revolvers out there. This afternoon I walked into the store where I use the range and since I had some spare time I walked over to a revolver case, just to admire the guns. Right there sits a 686, 7 shot $50 or $60 under MSRP. New and ready for someone to grab it...
Old April 19, 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
BigJimP

If its something you really want - and you have the money ....I don't see tying it up on a backorder as a big deal ???

Most of my local dealers on custom orders...especially if they know you / will accept 50% down and balance on delivery - especially if its something they will have no trouble selling if the buyer flakes out on the deal. They have a business to run too - so I expect them to at least want enough down to pay for their order time, return, etc to mfg, if buyer flakes out.

Some of my local dealers, when they confirm the order will want 100% - especially if its under $1,500 - but I don't think that is unreasonable. It isn't the dealers fault - that things are backordered.

But if you don't want to tie up your money ...then see if the dealer has some on order - maybe they'll try and let you know when they come in ??

One of the guys on this forum ordered a custom 1911 from Wilson Combat recently ...about $ 3,800 as I recall...( I thought he was very smart to make the order - I like Wilson's guns a lot ) and I think they quoted him about a 9 month delivery time. But if he didn't get the order placed then ....today, that order time may be out to 18 months...its just the way things are right now. The mfg will do what they can ....but first to fully pay for the gun with their order...will get their guns first.

I've fully paid for guns I've custom ordered in the past ...for well over $2K ...and while delivery in the Old Days...was maybe 3 or 4 months..vs 9 - 18 months now...its still money spent - if I give it to them now or later it doesn't really matter - because I'll set the money aside. I'm only getting about 0.65% on $50,000 CD's right now anyway ....0.65% on $2K is only $13 so it isn't like I'm losing anything that valuable....( in my view ).