The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 18, 2012, 12:36 AM   #1
tahunua001

synthetic stocks for a marlin 336?

hello all,
I am thinking about possibly attempting to make a modernized version of the american classic. I am trying to keep within a reasonable budget so I am going with the 336 since it has a reasonable track record and is fairly common yet still quite affordable. does anyone know where a fellow could get a black synthetic stock for the 336 without having to buy one of the rare, expensive, stainless steel models?
Old December 18, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
scoutman

Ramline
Old December 18, 2012, 07:57 AM   #3
jmr40

The Ramline is junk. The only other option is www.mpistocks.com and they sell for around $600.

You'll be much better off keeping the wood stock that comes on the rifle.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

You can occasionally find new and used factory stocks through Numrich (gunpartscorp.com) and other vendors like "Bob's Gun Parts" (gun-parts.com).
Old December 18, 2012, 05:09 PM   #5
tahunua001

JMR, if you don't mind my asking, what makes you say that the ramline stocks are junk?

frankenmauser, thanks for the tip, I would have never even thought of numrich as I normally associate them with replacement parts for springfields and enfields.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:27 PM   #6
jmfc606

I was going to suggest Ramline as a cheaper alternative but somebody else on the internet says they're junk with no explanation so they must be garbage.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:33 PM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

Good topic and funny you should mention it- it makes me think and offer this:
In my present mode, when I buy a bolt action hunting rifle, I favor synthetic and stainless. However, when it came to getting my 336, I liked it as it was just fine and never gave any thought at all to synthetic.
I guess, for me, a rifle like that just needs to be wood.
Some time has passed since my first words and I took a look at my hunting rifles. I think if a company made a good quality product to replace wood, and if it was every bit as good as the other stocks I have, I would buy that.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; December 19, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Shotgun693

Quote:
black synthetic stock for the 336
I just threw up in the back of my mouth a little. Excuse me while I go wash my mouth out.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #9
tahunua001

^^^why does everyone instantly think of red dots, rails, flashlights, lasers, and telescoping stocks as soon as you mention plastic?

I see no problem with synthetic furniture on lever actions just as I see no problem with synthetic grips on revolvers but thank you very much for your helpful comments good sir.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:11 PM   #10
jmr40

Quote:
JMR, if you don't mind my asking, what makes you say that the ramline stocks are junk?
Because I bought a used a rifle with one on it years ago. It was thin, flimsey, noisy and left 1/8" gaps between stock and metal. If someone made a decent stock at a good price for a lever gun I'd buy it. I have no doubt the MPI stock is a good stock, but it is not worth the asking price to me.

Right now the wood stocks are about as good as it gets. I have seen a few guys "paint" lever gun stocks with the same stuff they use in the spray in bed liners to get a tough, weatherproof finish. I've seen photos of some guy in Alaska with a SS guide gun done that way. Unique and serviceable to say the least.