The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2012, 03:37 AM   #26
bamaranger

Sure, I started with a .410 and my Dad hunted with one also on bunnies ahead of beagles. A few squirrels, (Dad didn't hunt squirrels) ....I even killed a pheasant with it and grouse that flushed into the open. But none of it was demanding wing shooting. Most of it a good shot could have done with a .22. But as a kid...I was not a good shot, I was tyro. The .410 and a load of 7-1/2 shot let me take small game that was stopped or relativley slow moving, consistently to 20-25 yds. A big mistake is to use to large of shot. The 3" shell is the game load, and 6 shot or smaller is the rule (Dad and I killed a LOT of rabbits with 7-1/2).

I jumped to a 16 ga pretty quick, and then to a 12 ( no 20 in the house).

Limited to such use, a .410 can suffice as a starter, but as noted, its a handicap on doves, passing pheasants, true wing shooting and most clay birds as well.

A .410 sets at the back door these days as a pest gun, .....and I remember.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:02 AM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
The 28 is a premier upland hunting bore size and will work within its parameters from woodcock to grouse to pheasant
Maybe for premier shooters...... but it hadicaps new shooters.

And it's not like there are 28 guage guns and ammo available everywhere.

If handloading is an option, lite 20's would be the route to go- there are 20 guage pumps available in the same sizes as the .410's.....
Old August 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #28
oneounceload

The 28 doesn't handicap any more than a 20 - ammo and guns can be found at walmart, let alone any gun shop - and it is a MUCH better choice than a 410 for the same tasks

Quote:
oneounceloads, you have said the majic words,thru my gun club. at thoses prices it,s 3.60 a box,but not every one can get those prices in most areas. and i too like to reload shotgun and pistol plus rifle and don,t count my time. i have been shooting trap twice a week and shoot four round,plus a pratice round at each range,so thats 250 rounds,plus i shot five stand twice a month, two rounds and that a exra 100 rounds and sporting clays also twice a month for another 100 rounds. thats at least 450 rounds a month. i would love to buy at the prices you do,but alas i must hunt long and hard at gun shows,flea markets and yard sales to try to keep costs down.i did get a good buy off a man who quit shooting,claybusters,7.00 a bag and fresh shot at 25.00,but didn,t get near enough. i would be hard put to get rid of my 9000g and my 650. good shooting eastbank.
Eastbank - have you tried buying through the places where you are shooting? Even if the club doesn't do it (which is self-defeating, IMO), there will then usually be a group doing a bulk order group buy - ask at the club, put up a note on the bulletin board expressing your desire to go in on one, etc. Otherwise, except for shot, buy in bulk - get two 8# jugs and 5000 or more primers at one time and the hazmat fees become miniscule as they get spread over the cost per shell.

In fact, my club just sold some reclaimed to a club in PA. There are plenty of clubs in PA and they get their fields mined all the time
Old August 30, 2012, 01:08 PM   #29
Gunplummer

I have used .410's for years. I think the only shotgun I own with out a scope on it is a .410, and I recently sold one with a scope at an auction. Good enough for deer around here. 16 and 28 gauge common? Where in the world are you at? The man is talking about hunting, not standing around at the skeet range. If the kid can't handle a 20 gauge, he sure isn't going to want to shoot for a couple hours at a range. The only drawback I ever saw was the price of shells because I never bothered to reload for shotguns.
Old August 30, 2012, 01:14 PM   #30
jmortimer

^Exactly
Old August 30, 2012, 05:17 PM   #31
jimbob86

Quote:
The 28 doesn't handicap any more than a 20 - ammo and guns can be found at walmart, let alone any gun shop - and it is a MUCH better choice than a 410 for the same tasks
Teh Walmartz sell whatever sells in their area*..... I can't say that I've ever seen 28 guage shells, let alone 28 guage guns, at any of the ones around here...... the one in Bellvue stopped selling guns .... still have ammo. Probably has something to do with the fact that they are within 5 minutes of a Cabela's in one direction, a Bass Pro in the other, and Scheel's is on the other side of town.......

*The Walmart in McCook, NE had reloading stuff in it last time I was there. The one in Littleton, CO near my brother's house sells AR's. They'd sell their mothers' underwear if they could figure out a way to do it at a profit, and in volume. Not that this is a bad thing..... that's why all businesses are in business: to make money.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:13 PM   #32
jdh

The 20ga is much more forgiving and in a gas operated youth model simi auto it would be much more useful than the 410. Pumps are harder for a kid to shoot than the auto especially if they try to shoot skeet.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:17 PM   #33
oneounceload

I was just in wally world an hour ago - 5 different ARs in the racks, two types of 28 ammo on the shelf

Quote:
The 20ga is much more forgiving and in a gas operated youth model simi auto
And a 28 gauge 1100 is even more forgiving

Quote:
16 and 28 gauge common? Where in the world are you at? The man is talking about hunting, not standing around at the skeet range.
Exactly - no one mentioned skeet - try expanding your horizons - the 16 and 28 are as popular as ever, bird hunters are realizing how great those two bore sizes are, ammo is readily available both locally and on line, folks appreciate the better quality guns built on true-sized frames, and on and on

Maybe you should check out both the 16 gauge society and the 28 gauge society for more enlightenment..............
Old August 30, 2012, 09:41 PM   #34
Gdawgs

Wow, I didn't mean to start a fight with this thread. Our local Wal Mart does not carry guns. They do have 28 ga shells though. Our LGS does not have any 28 ga guns either(and they have a pretty large selection of guns), but they do carry the ammo as well. Apparently 28 ga doesn't sell much around here.

Anyway, here's the lowdown on the kids. I took them both(8 yr old son, 11 yr old daughter) back to the gun store today. The 510 Mini actually fits them both pretty nicely (keep in mind, our kids are pretty runty, they are both one of the smallest kids in their classes). My 11 year old would benefit from the stock extension, but could shoot it fine as is.

They also had 505 Youth models there in 410 and 20 ga. These were obviously way too big for both of them. Even my daughter had to extend her forward arm almost completely straight to reach the pump.

So if we decide to buy one (which I believe we are going to do), it will have to be the 510 Mini, since nothing else fits him. It will last him 2-3 years, and at that time we'll either trade it off for something bigger, or by then, his little sister who is now 4 will be able to use it if she gets into shooting.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old August 31, 2012, 11:47 AM   #35
Gunplummer

I actually did run into two guys that were part of the 16 gauge society up on a mountain one day. I was coming down and showed them 2 grouse I had. They had 1 grouse and dogs. They seemed a little miffed because I was using the old recurve Bear and shot them off a limb. Little to snooty for me.
Old September 1, 2012, 04:06 PM   #36
Gdawgs

Well we bought the 510 Mini yesterday! He was very excited to say the least. We went out to the range today and tried it out. He was a bit hesitant to take the first shot because he was afraid that it was going to kick. But after a little pep talk he pulled the trigger, then got a huge grin on his face "Again, Again!!"

So we started out with three clays just laying on the ground. He pounded those quickly then we moved on to more challenging things. I had a couple of frisbees that we got at parades, so I threw those up in the air and he was able to hit those after a couple of tries. I also had some rabbit clays that I picked up after a sporting clays session, so I just rolled those on the ground while he shot away. I'd say he was able to hit about 50% on those. He even powdered a couple of them. So he felt pretty good. We then tried three or four thrown clays and of course he missed all of those, but that's to be expected.

Overall I'd say it was a very successful trip to the range, and he loves his new gun. He wants to go every weekend now, which is fine with me. But I'm going to have to find a reloader. He shot almost two boxes of shells today, plus the two we shot last week with dad's gun.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old September 1, 2012, 06:41 PM   #37
BigJimP

I hope you all have a good time with it....
Old September 1, 2012, 09:56 PM   #38
Gdawgs

Yeah we had lots of fun. I found a reloader on Craiglist. Going to pick it up tomorrow.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:05 AM   #39
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thnaks, you just made my morning better.

Enjoy....
Old September 3, 2012, 10:05 AM   #40
Gdawgs

Picked up the press yesterday. Here it is mounted on my reloading table. Please fogive my messy garage. Now I just need to pick up some shot and wads and I'm ready to go. I did play around with the Winchester 296 powder. Sounds like these fine, slow powders don't feed well in these presses. They make a brass washer that you install up by the powder bushing and that is supposed to help. The press didn't come with that so I have to order one.

Last edited by Gdawgs; September 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old September 3, 2012, 10:11 AM   #41
jmortimer

Great story with a happy ending. Good for you and your family. Fortunately common sense won out and you got the .410 which is a great gun for your intended purpose. Enjoy.
Old September 4, 2012, 07:16 AM   #42
Gdawgs

Got all the reloading components and tried out the reloader. Works pretty slick. My son really likes doing the reloading. After he popped out a shell he'd say "we just saved 35 cents dad!"

We went out to the range to try out our reloads and they worked just fine. So I guess that's the end of our story. Thanks again for all the input.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #43
Gaz_in_NZ

Dunno if this will be of any use to you but I started my son on clays with an old folding single barrel .410 poachers gun when he was 6 years old, by the time he was 7 he was taking 60% of the clays out of the air with it, the only thing it lacked was the ability to hit clays from the high towers. When I asked his instructor shouldn't I be putting him on a 20G or 16G he laughingly told me to keep him on a .410 as if he had a gun with more shot and spread he would start to make me look like a novice. We put him on a 20G and he made me look like I couldn't shoot
He's 12 now and very, very good with 20G, time to get him onto a 12G I feel.

Cheers
G
Old September 5, 2012, 08:23 AM   #44
4runnerman

Great for you Gdawgs- As i stated earlier in a post. When he gets good with the 410--and he gets a 20.You better do one of two things. Give him bad reloads or bump him before he shoots,Or get used to hangiing the head low
Glad to hear you guys do it all together.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:24 AM   #45
Gdawgs

Update

Well we've had this shotgun for about a month now. We go out shooting every weekend(sometimes twice/wkend). He has over 250 rounds through it already. I bought a box of the rolling rabbit clays, and I roll those on the ground while he blasts them. He's getting pretty good at those. We haven't tried fliers yet.

Yesterday we went squirrel hunting and he bagged his first animal! We took it home, cleaned it and made stew in the crock pot. It was actually pretty good. I've never had squirrel before. When we were cleaning it, he said "Where's the heart? You can eat that." I think he got that from a survival show that he watches. We put that in the pot too and he ate it.

We've had a great time with this gun. It has worked flawlessly and we've done a lot of bonding this last month. Thanks again!
Old October 7, 2012, 08:24 AM   #46
jmortimer

Updates are always good for me as I like to hear the rest of the story. I'm looking for a .410 for my daughter.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:16 PM   #47
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, I LOVE Happy Beginnings.....
Old October 7, 2012, 06:29 PM   #48
jimbob86

You are THE MAN! Teaching the kid how to shoot, hunt, cook, reload, the value of thrift (35 centsx250 ...at this rate you will save the purchase price of the gun in no time!)...... Kudos to you, Sir!
Old October 7, 2012, 06:30 PM   #49
BigJimP

I'm not eating any squirrel ....but good to hear things are working out....
Old October 7, 2012, 11:54 PM   #50
jimbob86

You are not hungry enough yet.....