The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2010, 09:03 PM   #1
BarbreJ

Casting Manuel/ Lead Source

Couple questions on starting to Cast.

#1: Where can I find a good manuel, and what is a good manuel? I have checked the local stores, and didn't find any. I have read up on it here, and have a good idea of how it goes. I just would like to have a book, plus i am still not real sure when/why gas checks are used.

#2: Where to get Lead? None of my locale tire shops said they could sell their WW's. They said they have to pay someguy to pick it up. Checked the links on a recent thread, but one didn't seem to work and the other just looked like greek to me. I seached figuring there would be plenty, but I apperantly wasn't holding my mouth right.

Thanks,
John
Old October 18, 2010, 09:17 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Lee's Modern Reloading has a bullet casting section. Lyman's new cast bullet manual is due out any day now.
Tire stores paying someone to haul their lead off? Offer to do it for half what the other guy is charging. They obviously flunked economics so make it easy for them.
Oh, yeah. Welcome to the affliction! Enjoy!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 18, 2010, 09:19 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

For good reference manuals. A few are Lyman Cast Bullet, Lyman 49th edition, Lyman Pistol and Revolver 3rd edition. Modern Reloading by Richard Lee is also a good one. There are more that others will chime in with.
As far as finding lead goes. Since you are not in Komiefornia check with some more tire shops. Show up with some cash. Beer right before quitting time on a Friday also can help. (One 5 gallon bucket with a 12 pack of Bud Light iced down. Offer to trade even for a bucket of wheel weights.) It has worked for me. I found it works way better to just show up in person rather than call on the phone. The mom's and pop's type places that sell lots of used tires are the ones I have the most luck with.
Gas checks are used for loads that are primarily being pushed very fast. Usualy in excess of 1300 feet per second. They are just thin metal disc (usualy copper) that crimp on the base (bottom) of cast bullets. It serves a couple of purpouses. First and foremost it keeps the powder charge from cutting the edge of the base making a leak of the gases around the bullet. (Know as gas cutting). This will cause a loss in velocity, accuracy, and lead build up in a barrel.
On a note I shoot cast in .45 ACP, and .41 Rem Mag. In the .41 Mag I will push them into the 1300 FPS velocity area without problems ( Harden the alloy with lead free solder.) The ,45 ACP I add just a tiny bit of the solder till I get the mold fill out I want. I do not use gas checks on either, and tumble lube both in liquid allox.
I hope the info helps.
Old October 18, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4
jmortimer

Here is an excellent source for lead but it's not free. http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
Old October 19, 2010, 01:33 AM   #5
lwknight

Here you will find days and days of happy reading

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
Old October 19, 2010, 06:22 AM   #6
GP100man

The Lyman castbullet handbook is the Bible !!!

Alot of loads that you usually would,nt run across in it !!

For your online Gleanin put on a pot of fresh coffee & join & read & don`t forget the search option here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

As far as a lead source I use Isotope lead now cheaper cleaner & don`t have to worry `bout zinc or go lookin for it !!

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=86491

We have a purty good crowd here , but alot larger data base is on the castboolits site.

Enjoy