The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1
dsv424

Stuck Gas Check

The other day I had to use my impact bullet puller on one of my 45-70 rounds. Well the bullet came out just fine but the gas check stayed stuck inside the case. Normally I would just toss the case but for a new 45-70 case I would like to save it if I could. Has anyone dealt with this before? I tried putting it back into the impact hammer and striking it a couple dozen times but it won't budge.
Old September 29, 2010, 09:53 AM   #2
snuffy

Push on one edge, the gas check will turn sideways. Then get a hold of it with a needle nose pliers, pull it out.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 29, 2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

If that doesn't work you might be able to CAREFULLY drill a hole in the check, thread a long screw or bolt into it and pull it out that way.

I would suggest that wild you're doing the drilling you fill the case with water to make sure that you don't set the powder off.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 29, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
dsv424

Thx snuffy, your idea worked well. Now another question. Can I just tap the gas check back on the bullet or should I use glue?
Old September 29, 2010, 11:10 PM   #5
publius

throw it away and use a new one. I'm sure a small drop of glue would work if it's still in good condition and you don't have any more.