The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
harrierdjh

Tennessee Laws...help

I have been reloading only for a few years now, but me and an old friend were talking about it and he said something about there might be a law state or federal that only allows you to have so much ammo inside you home.. is this true or not? i dont really believe it but the only person that reloads more than me is DEA so i figured it wouldnt matter for him. thanks
Old December 3, 2009, 12:33 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

I don't know whether there's an absolute number, but you need a license if you do commercial reloading, and that legally includes reloading for anybody that pays you cash instead of providing just components.
If you reload a lot for yourself just keep track of your shooting so if they come knocking you can show your log of shooting and reloading approximately equal numbers of rounds.
Old December 3, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Don H

There may well be a fire code in your area that restricts the amount of powder and primers you have on the premises and, at some quantity, the manner of storage. I seem to recall reading that some local governments have restricted the amount of ammunition that one may possess in a residence but I have no specifics at hand.
Old December 3, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Stumper

I'm past caring about such things. There is little doubt that if some of the forum members were to get crosswise with law enforcement there would be news reports of "arsenals" , "assault rifles" and "thousands of rounds of ammunition". Live free!

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old December 3, 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
QBall45

I am not sure how much it matters. Unless your talking about improper storage 10's of thousands of rounds or in excess of 50# of powder.

Personally I never keep more than 10# of powder on hand.

I am certain there is some requirement for proper storage of large quantity of loaded ammo. A guy should follow those guides I think. I know there are guidelines for storage of powder in excess of 50#. This is the reason I keep my stock low.

To my way of thinking, if its loaded ammo stored properly you should have no problem. Unless you are already a trouble maker.

One could always install a sprinkler system. That should at least keep the fire marshal happy.