The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2009, 07:14 PM   #1
308BoltAction

Is it possible to add iron sights to a rifle without them?

If I were to buy a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, is there any way I could get iron sights added to it? Would this cost me an arm and a leg?
Old April 28, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2
jmr40

Go to www.midwayusa.com They offer a large selection of iron sights. You will have to choose front and rear sights as well as rear sight blades separately in most cases. Prices for the sights can start at around $35-$50 for the cheaper ones and go up to well over $100. Getting the barrel drilled and tapped would cost some for a gunsmith. Just a SWAG but I'm gonna guess $20-$30.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Ozzieman

A lot depends on the sights. This set cost almost as much as the gun and a good gun smith put them on for $75. The rear of the gun had to be drilled and taped and so did the front.
There are so many different sets of sights you can put on a gun it all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. And the more options you want the more you will spend.
BUT spend enough to get good quality.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 3, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Jim Watson

What kind of iron sights?

Cheap open hunting rifle sights for very emergency backup at moderate ranges would require drilling and tapping or dovetailing the barrel fore and aft.

A tackytickle BUIS will either mount to your rear scope base or fold right up from inside or behind it. Still have to mount a front sight by screw or dovetail.

Match sights these days are usually mounted on a band at the muzzle with an inch or so of the barrel turned down to .75". Rear sights are made to attach to holes drilled and tapped in the left rear of the receiver, but there are bases made that will go on the rear top scope base screw holes and hang over the left side for attachment of a receiver sight. There are even combination bases made for easy exchange of peep and scope, but not a quick change. More like shoot the iron sight match today and the "any sight" (scope) match tomorrow.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Radar3006

After reading your other post it sounds like you are in the same boat I am ...
I just bought a Rem. sps tactical in 308 and I am going to pull the 3x9x50 off my ole 06 until I can save up some money to get the scope I want...Trying to mount some iron sights like grandpa had on his ole 30-30 would be like putting a hand crank starter off a model t ford on your newer car because you can't afford a new starter yes you might get it to work but your car was not really made for a hand crank......If you really want to shoot it go ahead and mount a scope on it even if its a cheaper scope then save your money until you can buy a better one..check out www.sightwonders.com/home.html they have scopes that start at $55.00 up to $1650.00 that will work on your weapon ..I think it will be cheaper to mount a scope on it then getting a gun smith to put on iron sights