The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 30, 2008, 07:25 AM   #1
model14

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan (75 miles West of Detroit in beautiful farm country.
Ruger Mk III 22/45 for new BE shooter.

I would like to hear your experience with this pistol. It certainly is priced right (under $300 NIB), but is it a good first 22LR BE (indoor and outdoor)? Thanks.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:38 AM   #2
cdrt

Great first choice. We have a shooter here, who used his to make Master in less than two years...with iron sights, no less. And he used his Hardball .45 as well. He finally bought a dedicated Wad gun earlier this year but has yet to use it in a match.

He and I both legged out for our Distinguished Pistol Medals at the same match.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old December 1, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
melchloboo

I have it and would not recommend 22/45. The problem is that the grips are not replaceable...unless you are willing to sand down the polymer frame and put in 1911 studs like I did:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/...940&highlight=

A ruger with their standard angle is a great be gun, the grips can be replaced. The 22/45 is going to be problematic unless it happens to fit your hand perfectly as-is. Also, you will have to replace the sear and trigger...factory is about 6#.

Really, if you like ruger than a used mk II is the way to go. But if you want new, 5.5" Bull barrel satisfies most people. Get the VQ target grips, their sear, trigger and extractor.

Also guntalk-online is a great forum for ruger rimfire pistol questions.