The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2000, 02:29 PM   #1
westvirginia

I've been reloading for a while, but just loading mostly plinking stuff. Now I want to tune a couple of rifle loads and want to measure velocities. What would everyone recomend for a good, inexpensive chronograph? I don't care about bells and whistles, I just want one that's reliable, not prone to breakage and will be reasonably inexpensive. I started out with Lee realoding tools, and though I like their dies, I don't care for much else made by them. My point is I don't want to go super-cheap and not be happy with what I've bought. I'm completely new to chronys, so all advice/experience would be appreciated!

------------------
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
Old July 6, 2000, 09:08 AM   #2
Steve Smith

The baseline Shooting Chrony is advertised in my last Midway catalog for $60-70 bucks. It can be upgraded one piece at a time.
Old July 6, 2000, 10:10 AM   #3
westvirginia

Thanks Frontsight! I wondered if that would be a good one. I order quite a bit from Midway.

------------------
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
Old July 6, 2000, 10:35 AM   #4
Steve Smith

I have used the "Beta Master Chrony" (I hesitate to call it the "masterbeta"!) with good sucess. It does what it says. Be warned, either you'll get weird looks from the "know-nothings" or everyone will want to use it when you break it out at the range.

------------------
Frontsight!
=========================
Why is everybody all boud up about the AK-47? YEAH, I GOT ONE, WHAT'S IT TO YA?!
Old July 6, 2000, 01:53 PM   #5
Futo Inu

As a bonus, Midway dropped S&W products.
Old July 8, 2000, 05:16 PM   #6
DAL

I, too, have a Beta Master and I'm quite happy with it. It's simple to use and (I think) it's accurate.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA