The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Bass Man

Does different brass manufacturers matter?

Does different brass manufacturers matter in target pistol shooting? I know everything matters in high accuracy rifle shooting, but does it affect pistols that much. I have several different manf. with 50 or so each .I sorted them by manf. and will keep them seperate.
Old January 30, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2
Robert M Boren Sr

It does if you're planning on match shooting, but then I haven't noticed much of a difference. I use mixed brass in my 45 auto and I shoot the same groups. But I don't shoot competition either.
Old January 31, 2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Kanilure

Brass Man;

I still sort my rifle cases by manufacturer, but not my pistol cases, unless I have a pistol that will only feed one type of case. Used to have a Llama .380 that only wanted Remington brass, for example. In fact, I quit loading pistol ammo except for straight walled revolver cases, .357, .44 & the like. Semi-auto pistol ammo like 9mm and .45 has gotten alot cheaper than it was 20 years ago. Sellier & Bellot works so good in all my autos that I just don't reload it anymore, except for Colt .45. Now if you got an oddball something like I got a 32-20, by all means get yourself a batch of the same kind of case and go to town!

If I was shooting match and reloading for it I would sort my cases regardless of pistol or rifle. But, for most of the reloading I do, it just doesn't seem to make much difference. Nevertheless, for consistency's sake, use the same cases, same primer, same powder [goes without saying] same ole, same ole everything to get the best and most consistent POI out of any reloading!