The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 18, 2007, 05:32 AM   #201
softmentor

If you drop a mag, and it touches the ground, you can not pick it up. OUCH I needed that mag and the rounds. Texas Star ate 5 extra rounds, and then fumbled and dropped a mag. Wound up running out of ammo and not even engaging the last target. carry an extra, extra mag.

Different range officers do things different. Like not saying "Virginia count" but rather saying "6 rounds only on each target" I flew one past the target (40 yards), and so I fired a 7th round. Don't let it bother you, just enjoy the shoot and it is what it is.

match shooting is fun!, Wait I already knew that one.
Old January 17, 2008, 02:09 AM   #202
Jeff22

shooting revolvers

I shot my new S&W 625-3 in a USPSA special classifier match a couple of weeks ago.

I shot okay, but I shot SLOW. I did discover that I need to chamfer the charge holes in the cylinder in the revolver, and use factory ammo with a proper taper crimp on the case mouth if I hope to reload in a timely manner. I had problems with my commercial reloads in that the case mouths weren't taper-crimped, and they hung up on the edge of the cylinder. (And, in reference to SCD's suggestion from December, I reloaded using the "traditional" method -- transfer the revolver to the weak hand and perform the loading operation with my strong hand. I've been doing it that way for years)

So, sometime this spring I'll have the gunsmith chamfer the cylinder and maybe slick up the trigger, and I'll try it again. I hope to use that gun to qualify in the ESR division of IDPA in May or June.

(I also shot my Combat Commander to classify in the "single stack" division of USPSA. The gun ran perfectly, I didn't have any extraction problems, and that went a lot better . . . )
Old January 21, 2008, 06:03 PM   #203
wiking

revolver and NSF (Norges Skytterforbund - the main organisation in Norway that all local clubs and diffrent parts of competition shooting is tied to) rapid fire pistol (half match- 2 series of 5 rounds in 10 seconds, 2 series in 8 seconds and 2 series in 6 seconds) does not mix. barely hit the bloody target and didn't get off all 5 rounds.
Old March 13, 2008, 03:56 AM   #204
Jeff22

proper lubrication

I shot a USPSA special classifier match on Sunday the 9th of March.

The high temperature was 27 degrees that day, and a few flakes of snow were coming down as I left the match.

We had three shooters that I know of who had weapons functioning problems. In all three cases, the shooters had used too heavy a grease on the frame rails In two of those cases the shooter was using Brian Enos' "Slide Glide" and I don't know which lube was in use in the other instance.

The thin viscosity Slide Glide is good down to 30 degrees. I don't know which visconsity the shooters who had problems were using.

Be sure to select a lube appropriate for both your weapon and the weather conditions you may encounter. (In this particular case, I was using WeaponShield lube on my Colt Combat Commander)

For what it's worth, I sometimes use the thin viscosity "Slide Glide" in the summer time before long matches or practice sessions and I've had good luck with it.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html
Old March 21, 2008, 12:51 PM   #205
Gunfighter123

USPSA Revolver = Check your moon clips BEFORE the match {had 2 bent ones}

Bring extra ammo to the line with you

Clean and oil gun before the next match{every time} !!!

Working 2nd shift SUCKS in a 1st shift world--I get a 2nd wind after midnight

If you or your gear are going to screw up --- HOPE it is on a classifier

FRONT SIGHT , FRONT SIGHT , FRONT SIGHT !!!!!!!!

And as someone else posted; the older I get - the better I used to be

Gunfighter 123
Old March 21, 2008, 01:56 PM   #206
UniversalFrost

aim small, miss small

also, make sure to pack enough ammo and that it is the ammo for the gun(s) you will be shooting (actually messed up and grabbed a bunch of cases (reloads) of 44mag and .357 sig and didn't realize it until I got to the range and went to load my 45 and 9mm. Luckily the range sold 45 and 9mm so I bit the bullet and bought from the range.

After that I always mark my reload cases in BIG letters what they are and double check before going to the range.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 2, 2008, 09:17 AM   #207
redblair

I can shoot well and have crappy times when I don't think well. A procedural, missed target and hit on a non threat can't be made up. All we errors in thought not in shot.

B

Dec. 15, 1791
Old May 3, 2008, 10:49 PM   #208
dasper

I need to pay more attention while reloading.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:33 PM   #209
even11

Slam in the mag!! I had 2 unseated magazines in a IPSC training exercise. I bet I lost 5 seconds before I got to thinking about tap & rack.

The training exercise was just an add on to a class I was taking so I have never actually shot in a match, but that will change very soon.

-Dane
Old June 2, 2008, 12:12 PM   #210
Sigma 40 Blaster

Reading your own posts from six months ago is interesting.

I shot my second classifier last month (this time I shot CDP and ESP, both with my XD .45). I shaved 45 seconds off of my previous score missing Sharpshooter by .3 points in CDP and 4 points in ESP.

I followed a lot of advice from others, notably I went with the scorers to observe my targets before taping. Had I not I would have been hit with a total of 6 misses that were actually doubles (you could plainly see two rings around one asymmetrical hole).

The things I have learned to do differently:
Keep your trigger finger away from the frame of the gun, not just off of it but AWAY.

Don't worry about where your shots hit, you can't get it back so don't waste time trying to make sure your headshots were good

Don't rush the 20 and 15 yard shots, you lose more points by missing fast that getting slow hits.

Move your sights during recoil to the next target, you don't need a marksman sight picture to hit the -0 or -1 ring.

Always take up the slack on the trigger during recoil. I'm not saying to stage the trigger, just take up the slack.

There's no such thing as a draw or reload that's fast enough. Eliminating .25 or .5 seconds from drawing and reloading for every required draw or reload makes a huge difference.
Old June 4, 2008, 08:51 PM   #211
Jmac2387

1000 Round Match Oct in Central Oklahoma- Open Gun

This year we are running a 1000 rounds match in central Oklahoma the third weekend in Oct. So the guys from arizona, california and Florida mark your calendars and let me know you are coming.

In the past when your gun had a hiccup you were out. This year everyone will shoot 1000 rounds.

This year we will be counting hits and malfunctions. So the attempt here is to run a match within a match. One to keep a count of your hits on the steel targets and the other match to keep record of how many malfunctions you have. The limit will be 50 malfunctions over the course of a match. don't laugh it has happened.

There will be 20 stages with 50 targets. Shooters will need to come to the line with 7 magazines and one round in the gun. You only get to bring 8 mags to the match, so pick them carefully.

This is by invitation, you must know someone who is attending who will vouch for you. That way we don't get any GBer's or dead heads. a note from you mother will not suffice. If you have attended in the past you are welcome to come again. You know what hospitality I offer. If you want to attend find someone attending who will vouch for you or email me for credential requirements.

More as we get closer to the match. LM
Old June 16, 2008, 04:40 PM   #212
Old Gaffer

I REALLY need to pay more attention to the physiological aspects of the match. My last match was the .45 portion of a Bulls eye 2700 shot when the heat index was about 110º. By the end of the timed fire portion I was literally wrung out from the heat, and I still had four five-shot strings of rapid fire to go.

I had my worst outing with a .45 in almost a year, and no one to blame for it but me.

And it's only June...

All the best,
Rob
Old July 23, 2008, 11:17 PM   #213
Danny Creasy

Wind!

I shot in my first CMP Sporter National Match last Sunday (July 20th) at Camp Perry. My failure to allow for the Lake Erie winds may have cost me a victory in T-Class. A prolonged series of strong gusts during my rapid fire sitting strings resulted in a two and a half inch group just to the right of the 10 ring. I had one 10, eight 9s, and one 8 for a 90. My overall score of 581-26X was still good enough for a gold metal (577 and higher earns the shooter gold). But, I will feel that wind on my cheek and in my hair for the rest of my life. A simple Kentcky windage hold off for the second five shots of the split string might have yielded me 6 more points. 581 plus 6 equals 587 and a 587-23X won.

Oh well, just more reason to go next year.
Old August 12, 2008, 06:24 AM   #214
GoSlash27

BUG guns are the most fun you can have at an IDPA match. Finally got a chance to run my P-3AT and I'll be doing that every chance I get.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:37 AM   #215
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I don't draw, reload, or move fast enough, and I spend too much time loading.

I shot more points than anybody else, but the guy who won Production was almost 8 seconds faster.

Tomorrow I pick up the Blog Gun .45, and before the next match I'll have two 10-round magazines for it so I can reload less often (my factory SIG mags hold 7 each.) That's the quick, easy part, and as slow as my reloads are, it will save me 3-4 seconds on some stages.

The hard part is the dry fire and practice it's going to take to improve the rest. For that, I got a book of dry fire drills with record-keeping pages.
Old September 26, 2008, 10:42 AM   #216
darkgael

Gallery match

First gallery match of the Greater New York Pistol League 2008-09 season, runs until May.
Learned that a bad habit had crept in during the summer when I was shooting rifles exclusively. I wasn't paying attention to where my finger was on the trigger during the slow fire stage. The first few of shots broke away from the center. Once I got that straightened out, they started going in as 9s and 10s instead of 7/8/9.
Pay attention to basics.
Pete
Old October 5, 2008, 11:41 AM   #217
NRAhab

I learned that it is possible to not shoot a no-shoot.

Beyond that, there's not excuse for not having a perfect grip on the gun if you start from low-ready.
Old October 8, 2008, 07:16 PM   #218
DaveBeal

Read the label on your ammo before putting it in your bag/box. For my last club bullseye match, I grabbed a rectangular plastic box that said CCI on it. When I went to load my first magazine, my first thought was "I don't remember Standard Velocity being jacketed...?". Then I realized they were Mini-Mags instead of SV. Wouldn't even feed in my S&W 41. Luckily the guy in the next lane was nice enough to lend me a box of SV, but it still didn't help my composure in the first string of slow fire.
Old October 19, 2008, 05:54 PM   #219
GoSlash27

Take it out and plink with it before you bring it to IPSC

I didn't bother to find out where my sight picture was on my new toy before the match and ended up taking out a no-shoot as a result. I had been running clean all year up to that point.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:23 PM   #220
no one

What I learned at last match

It was a sniper match where the shooting positions were very awkward, but realistic. We shot over a berm from between the rocks. I deployed my harris bipod, but only one leg would touch ground without giving the rifle severe cant that I presumed would cause terrible problems with accuracy. So I figured using one leg of the bipod for front support, and my non trigger finger hand supporting the butt of the weapon would give me the best support. I learned that I was correct, it worked out very well. As Jeff Cooper said "If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier." The single bipod leg did get me steadier...that is what I learned.

Neat idea..make people write out what they learned. It will help burn it into our unconcious mind.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:28 AM   #221
Jeff22

Stage III of the IDPA classifier

I shot the IDPA classifier on an indoor range on Saturday the 7th of February.

I did okay on stages I & II -- and once again, I crashed and burned on Stage 3.

For the unfamiliar, Stage III involves engaging multiple targets from behind a high barricade at 25 yards and from behind a barrel at 15 yards. You have to shoot around the side of the barrel and not over the top. Usually I do pretty well from behind the high barricade, but I have a tendancy to crowd cover when shooting around the low barricade, which results in my shooting from a contorted position. I'm right handed, and shooting at the far left target from around the right side of the barrel often-times results in lots of dropped points.

I have practiced engaging the far left target left handed from behind the low barricade, and it's worked okay in practice, but I didn't do it in the match for some reason.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:02 AM   #222
rduckwor

Quote:
I shot the IDPA classifier on an indoor range on Saturday the 7th of February.

I did okay on stages I & II -- and once again, I crashed and burned on Stage 3.
Yeah, me too. I have to learn to slow down on stage three. Blaze thru I and II and then SLOW DOWN and aim the shots. Got to get 0's or 1's on every shot in III.

I did O.K., but I could have done better and that gripes me.

Next time . . .

RMD
Old March 5, 2009, 07:53 PM   #223
Willie Lowman

If a mag does not drop free, RIP that ************* out!

Anger is a weapon only to the shot timer.

You can clean the mud out of your mags after the match, that's why you bought so many.

If you can shoot a semi-auto match before the full-auto match it will help your trigger control.

Just because the guy shooting before you has a gun that cost more than your house, that doesn't mean you can't out shoot him.

Anger is a weapon only to the shot timer.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:34 AM   #224
jomommy

holster before you curtsy, even if a bunch of guys are clapping because you shot well on your 2nd time ever shooting and you are so happy. sitting out the rest of the match is not fun.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:23 PM   #225
ltdave

Quote:
1) Just because your first 8 offhand shots are 10's and 9's , doesn't mean you aren't going to get fatigued, miss, then spend the last 11 shots getting 6's,7's,and 8's.
yep. my first 14 were 4 Xs, 4 10s, 6 9s followed by 8s over 7s with one more X thrown in for good measure (182-5X)

Quote:
3) In slow prone, even if you totally blew the first 3 stages, if you pull it together, and only shoot when your sight picture is perfect, you can shoot your highest score ever (98-2x's) Woo Hoo.
did you only shoot 10 rounds at 600? thats what we do on our 100yd reduced course...