The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 1999, 02:33 PM   #1
solo

The otherday I was at the local sporting goods store and saw a nice shotgun. The manufacturer was Charles Daily, does anyone know of a website or have any info on this company. All I know is the company is in turkey and the firearms are handmade. I would like to know more about this company if possible any info is greatly appreciated.
Old December 25, 1999, 01:30 AM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Daly makes scatterguns? If they're as good as their 1911s, I'll have to get... another Mossberg.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872
Old December 25, 1999, 05:29 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Charles Daley company started out in Prussia, making SXS shotguns and rifles back in the black powder days.Out of business by WWII.The name was bought by another company, the way Savage owns the Fox name.

Some years ago the name was resurrected and a line of shotguns was produced, from Miroku in Japan, I believe.QC was irregular, and haven't seen any lately.
Old December 25, 1999, 08:03 PM   #4
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I have seen and shot several of their 1911s, all of recent manufacture. Quality was a wide spread, from pretty cheezy (i.e safety jammed on a display case gun requireing disassembly to fix!) to very nice, far better than Colt 1991 and on par with best older Colt 1911s. No experience with their shotguns, but I would have reservations...
Old December 25, 1999, 09:35 PM   #5
Bob Locke

Daly's autoloader shotguns are a knockoff of an Ithaca model, but I can't recall which one. A friend of mine bought one of their pump actions, and likes it quite a bit.

I've never shot one, myself, so I can't comment from personal use. I don't like their 1911-sytle handgun, though, and wasn't impressed with the action on the autoloader, either.
Old December 26, 1999, 09:27 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

SOLO:
Are you sure of the spelling, Daily? I noticed that everyone picked up on Daly. Although I was not able to locate a Daily, I must also assume you ment Daly. Sure makes it easier if spelling of mfg is correct.

HJN