The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 02:05 PM   #26
+1k ammo

Quote:
i absolutely love my Ruger SR22 pistol. It works flawlessly with any type of ammo, and a blast to shoot. I have put over 10,000 rounds through mine and still works perfect! Highly recommend
Wow!! Yes definitely not a pot metal gun. I have like 500 rounds at best through mine and could not even think about that many!

Glad to hear it can take it!

So, despite my minimal rounds thru the sr22, I like it very much even when compared to my Mark II. The Mark is a little more accurate, but is really a target gun and is heavy and such. The sr22 is light and easy to take down and really quite fun and would highly recommend it.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:27 PM   #27
Stevie-Ray

I've just heard of the Ruger SR22 with this thread, so I looked it up. Interesting! Maybe another .22 for me next time.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:57 PM   #28
TTUBOB87

After all the comments and reviews I'm definitely leaning toward the ruger mark iii 22/45. Now I just have to find somewhere that has it in stock...

I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for the help
Old January 28, 2013, 04:59 PM   #29
RJLII

I've got a Browning Buckmark as well. It's very accurate and has exceptional feel.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:40 PM   #30
bedbugbilly

I'm pretty much a revolver guy but last year I got the "itch" for a 22 LR semi as I go to the range with friends when I'm in AZ for the winter. I wanted the Ruger MK III "standard" with the shorter tapered barrel - I couldn't find one for love nor money in any of the LGS. I did find a blued MK III Target with the bull barrel. It shot great right out of the box and is a lot of fun to shoot. I've never had any issues with it - it operates smoothly. I own a number of Ruger handguns and love 'em all.

This last week, I had the chance to pick up one of the Sig 1911-22 semis. I think it is a well built pistol (same as the GSG) and most that I have talked to that have one really enjoy them. It was on a special and I snapped it up at $299.99. I'm looking forward to getting to the range with it this week and try it out. I do shoot some paper but mainly just "plink".

At the time I purchased the Sig, I compared it to the Colt 1911-22 (made by Walther) which ran more money. I haven't taken the Sig apart yet - the only drawback I see is the darn set screw that has to be removed to remove the barrel for strippng down. But, maybe it's more of a pain than I am imagining. Fortunately, I brought out a 1,000 rounds of 22 with me as there are none available where I'm at right now. I think we'll all be glad when this "shortage" lets up.

At the same time, I looked at the Ruger 22 semi auto (the smaller polymer). As much as I love all of my Ruger handguns - I had prejudged this model before even handling - thinking it was too small. After looking at it, I also fell in love with it. At the time I looked at it, I talked with another customer who had one and he loves his - eats anything he feeds it. The salesmen put on one of the magazine extensions for me to try and it felt even better that without it. At some point, one of these will be coming home with me. Not a larger, heavier one like the Sig 1911 but a nice size for plinking and carrying on the belt for woods walk, hiking, etc.

I think some of the others have also made some great recommendations. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Ruger semi autos 22 LR. I've handled the Buckmarks but never shot one. They have some good reviews and I think they would be a nice target/plinker to have as well.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the Sig Mosquito. I've handled and shot one that my friend owned. It was finicky on ammo and I hated the trigger on it. He ended up getting rid of it. Others like 'em though so I guess it's a personal thing. Before buying, I would certainly rent what you are interested in at a range and try it out. Chances are, you are going to run across a number of different brands/models that you like - then the hard part is deciding! Good luck and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 28, 2013, 08:13 PM   #31
qwiksdraw

The allen screw on the Sig/GSG isn't a big deal, I don't understand the complaints about it. So it takes an extra 10 seconds to field strip the gun!

When you consider that the Sig/GSG is 80% swappable with 1911 GI spec parts, being able to customize it is an extra benefit.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:14 PM   #32
Billy the Kidder

At our house we have an SR22, a Ruger MK III Hunter and a Sig 1911-22. I'm glad we have them. They all get used a lot and they all work well. If I had to choose? The MK III. It's a little pricier than the others, but it's the one.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited by Billy the Kidder; January 28, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:36 PM   #33
cnj

Mk I, II, III, 22/45 or Buckmark or NEOS or 22A or SR22P.....in that order. Stay as far away from the SIG Mosquito as possible. WAAAAAAAY too many problems identified all over just about any gun forum on the internet. That SIG is a POS!
Old January 29, 2013, 11:46 AM   #34
Pyzon

I have had nothing but fun with the Kadet kit on a 75B, and also can say the same about my MKIII. Best thing about the Kadet is you are using the same pistol as what you may be carrying, same trigger, same feel, and good affordable practice to boot.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:21 PM   #35
PT-92

Lots of good recs in this thread.

I have the SIG 1911-22 (well it's the GSG version same gun) and it is a very nice gun for someone looking to practice and maintain full-size 1911 proficiency absent the .45acp ammo costs. I highly recommend it for this purpose.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:48 PM   #36
Billy the Kidder

Not to hijack the thread.........does anyone have a source for the screw on the side of the Sig 1911-22? I have not found one and I would lke tohave a few spares.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:53 PM   #37
PT-92

You can buy a GSG 1911-22 spare parts kit that fits the SIG 1911-22 (same gun made by GSG).
Old January 29, 2013, 07:05 PM   #38
mach1.3

I have the Ruger MKIII Target/Competition in the 5.5" bbl and the Ruger MKIII Hunter in the 6.88" bbl. These guns are awesomely fun to shoot and extremely accurate. You can just about see the hole appear in the target after you pull the trigger there is so little recoil and almost no muzzle flip.
Mine both dine regularly on CCI MiniMags.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:04 PM   #39
breakingcontact

How about the M&P 22 pistol?

I haven't shot one.

I can recommend the Ruger Mark III Hunter.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:20 PM   #40
TTUBOB87

I'm definitely going to pick up the ruger 22/45 when I save up the $.

I really appreciate the input, just like when I bought my CZ this forum helped a ton.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:47 PM   #41
PT-92

Ruger MK... Pistols

I was at the range yesterday and in the lanes that were reserved for CCW training/qualifying they, of course, used range-supplied rental .22lr guns for the job (both costs and user friendliness). Anyhow, I watched how even the novices relatively new to the sport would comfortably handle the Ruger MKIII for the semi-side of the mandatory quals. I have lots of .22lr pistols but I keep coming back to that decades old design of the Ruger MK Series for any serious competition or high-volume shooting--I have well over 30k through mine and it hasn't skipped a beat in all these years. Conversely, while I absolutely love my newer designed .22lr semis like my GSG 1911-22, my buddy's SR-22 and even the range rental M&P 22 they seem to be of far "inferior" quality relatively speaking when compared to that venerable "old" Ruger MK line of pistols. I think the jury is still out on the "longevity" of the new "sexy" .22lr pistols. I am not sure I honestly think they can take the same amount of abuse as the all metal MKIII (I realize there are all-metal alternatives like the Ria 1911-22 and a few others but some of them are a bit too pricey for me for a .22lr).

Last edited by PT-92; January 29, 2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: sp
Old January 29, 2013, 11:25 PM   #42
steinermd

I love my High Standard, but you may have to hunt to find a decent one at a good price.

Bought a Ruger MKII competition target model for the wife, both guns shoot very well but she always try's to steal mine.

The only advantage to the High Standard is I can tear it down and reassemble it in half the time of the Ruger.

Again both are great guns and we have run bricks of ammo through them.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:42 PM   #43
makarov

Another vote for the CZ Kadet kit. Get one while you can, there will be more Ruger MK II or III's later. I have an 85combat and a pre-B 75. The 75 has the kit on it all the time. If you have one gun, swapping slides is easy.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:48 AM   #44
Pilot

Quote:
Another vote for the CZ Kadet kit. Get one while you can, there will be more Ruger MK II or III's later.
CZ is not discontinuing the Kadet Kit, just the dedicated Kadet .22 pistol. Kadet Kits are hard to find though, plus they have become expensive, but well worth it.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:27 AM   #45
RichardU

How about the M&P 22 pistol? Very nice. Has the benefit of same size and operation of the M&P centerfires, except for the safety which can be ignored.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:03 AM   #46
TTUBOB87

Where might I find the standard 22/45 in stock? Preferably the black with the brown grips.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:48 AM   #47
L_Killkenny

Great choice on the 22/45 (IMO, the best bang for the buck) but you might have to bide your time on a purchase. All things .22 are running behind and Ruger is no different. But definitely DO bide your time and don't settle for something else.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:10 PM   #48
BDM 9MM

I own 5 .22 pistols. A Beretta conversion kit for my 92FS, a Ruger MKll, a Ruger MKlll hunter, and two buckmark slab sides with roasewood grips. All are good solid pistols. The Buckmarks are GREAT pistols (for my taste) as I like the overall balance and feel and they have the best triggers of the lot. Best of luck on your hunt for a new .22 pistol. Dan
Old January 31, 2013, 08:29 PM   #49
Valerko

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sea2Z4VK1Qs

Just got the NEOS. Great gun for the money. , but friend is selling MKII and let me tried it. Short story , it's not for sale anymore.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:18 PM   #50
wrecker57

I've got two S&W 22A's and really enjoy them. I haven't had any problems with them and added a RedDot on both of them. Really fun shooting and they can be found pretty cheap on the used market.

My Dad just got the SR22, compared to the .22A it's trigger release is a bit long, otherwise and a very nice shooter.

+1 on the 1911's .22's, I like them all and the Sig would be my choice. Browning also has a scaled down model of the 1911 that's really nice.
Good luck