The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

Fluted Conversion Cylinder

Hi guys!

I got an 1858 Remington clone from Cabela's for Christmas in 44 caliber and I'm already addicted to it. Since the day after Christmas, I've burned up a lot of Goex, pushing out round balls, but now my greed is out of control. I'm going to buy the conversion cylinder for 45 long colt.

It looks like I have two choices for R&D type conversion cylinders. Fluted and non-fluted.
I like the look of the fluted cylinder much better, but some folks say the fluting reduces the strength of the cylinder because of the thinner steel where the fluting is cut and that makes it a bad bet for using smokeless powder in cowboy loads.

Is this something that I should consider? Am I better off buying the non fluted cylinder to add a degree of safety when shooting smokeless cowboy loads?
Old January 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Hawg

The cylinders are as good as any modern revolver cylinder so the flutes wont have any bearing. The strength of the frame is another matter so stick to cowboy pressures with smokeless.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Dr Killdeer

Thanks Hawg. That's an interesting site. The bottom line is, fluting makes no difference after all!!! I'm going to scrounge up the money and send for one. That will add a whole new dimension to the 1858 Remi.