The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1
cyberfish2

1968 Rem 700 7mm mag - new

Dec 4 I pick up my never fired 1968 Remington 700 7mm mag. It has a Leupold M8-4X scope, never sighted in. I do plan to shoot it.
My question: Will the new X-Mark Pro Trigger be a drop in replacement for the old trigger, and how much would it cost?
Old December 2, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2
hoghunting

The X-Mark trigger should fit your 700:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25151.aspx

But Timney makes a much better trigger for your rifle. No matter which trigger you buy, it will still needs to be adjusted, so please read the instructions carefully.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25035.aspx
Old December 4, 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
cyberfish2

Rem 700 - to mod, or not to mod?

Great info, thank you. I'm new to this forum. I'm a retired tool & die maker with a hobby machine shop, no cnc stuff, just the basics.
I'll pick up the Rem 700 today. It has an interesting history: It was smuggled into, and out of, Russia, as a movie prop to use in the filming of a story about bears back in the late '60's. According to the serial # it was made in April 1968. It is pristine. Maybe I should keep this as a collector piece, or just go ahead and enjoy it?
Old December 6, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
cyberfish2

Trigger recall?

I'm just now reading on this forum that there was a Remington 700 trigger recall on models made prior to 1990 due to discharge when the safety was moved to "fire"?? Holy cow! Today's the day I'm gonna shoot it for the first time. This 1968 model is reputed to have never been fired, altho there are very slight wear marks on the bolt that indicate otherwise.
Soooo - ok - I will be EXTRA CAREFUL. And check the SN with Rem to see if it was covered...
Old December 6, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5
hoghunting

Remington never had a recall on the 700's trigger. There have been some accidental discharges mainly due to altered triggers from misguided knowledge or lack of maintenance by not flushing out dirt and caked on oil in the trigger housing.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Clark

I got another rem700 7mmRM today, this one 1994, that last one I got 6 months ago was a 1963.

The rem700 is not the best action in the world, but not the worst.
I would rather drill the little hole to pin a recoil lug than make an extractor relief cut.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 11, 2012, 07:03 PM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
Remington never had a recall on the 700's trigger. There have been some accidental discharges mainly due to altered triggers from misguided knowledge or lack of maintenance by not flushing out dirt and caked on oil in the trigger housing.
The problem is the trigger connctor. An useless part that in rare cases malfunctions and releases the sear with no pull of the trigger. When this happens the safety is the only thing holding the firing pin back. When the safety is released the gun will fire if a round is in the chamber.

It is well documented in brand new, perfectly clean, unmodified rifles. Estimates of between 5,000 to 10,000 incidents dating back to the 1940's. Remington's own engineers found the defect in 1946 and urged the trigger disconnctor be removed and to use a more conventional trigger. The new X-Mark trigger is the one proposed in 1946, but was not changed until October 2006.

If concerned about the gun firing on its own the new trigger will eleminate that possibility, but an aftermarket trigger is a better choice.