The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
crooked stripe

In do do again

My son bought a 223 and loves it. He has been complaining about the price of ammo so I talked him into reloading it. He paid and I ordered cases, bullets, dies and a couple prep tools. I got a call and he wanted why I didn't order 5.56 whatever and I explained what my trusted gun shop owner told me. My son thinks 5.56 is more powerful and the rifle will get hurt shooting the 223. Please fill me in on this info. Material arrived tonight and is unopened. I could always send it back. What to do. Hope I didn't screw up too bad. John
Old November 29, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
TheGoldenState

A bit jumbled.

Someone with reloading knowledge will be along shortly.

I always understood it as .223 is fine out of a 5.56 barrel, but shooting 5.56 out of a .223 isn't recommended.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Is your sons rifle labeled 223 Remington or 5.56x45?

The two are dimensionally identical but the 556 runs at slightly higher pressures, may or may not have less internal case capacity and the firearms sometimes have a longer leade, for heavier bullets. There is some disagreement about firing 556 ammo in a 223 but there is certainly NO trouble with shooting 223 in a 556.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:33 PM   #4
crooked stripe

after rereading I see what you mean.

My son paid for the material and I ordered bullets, cases, 223 Lee pacesetter die set and a couple case prep tools. He said his rifle is a 5.56x ??? and I should have bought that caliber. My local GS said 223 material would be cheaper and more available so I took their advice. Did I do right or wrong? Sorry for the bad post, I always complain when someone else does the same thing.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5
TheGoldenState

So you're doing .223 for his 5.56?

You're fine.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:45 PM   #6
603Country

223 and 5.56 are the same caliber. The very same. Like Brian said, the only diff is that 5.56 is a military name for this cartridge and it's loaded to a higher pressure. That said, knowledgable people on this forum have said that shooting 5.56 in a 223 labeled rifle is fine. That doesn't make it true, but I personally believe it. Anyway, if your son is reloading and staying below book maximum on powder charges, he'll be fine (unless he unwisely screws something up). He needs to do his homework very carefully on the reloading process.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The die dimensions should be identical.

Case capacities will be very close.

The bullets are the same, except that you can probably use heavier bullets in a 556 rifle.

Many of the powders would be identical.

In other words, they are virtually identical.

You'll find a lot more published data labeled for 223 than 556.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Jerry45

The components, bullet, primer and powder will be the same for both .223 and 5.56. However, as stated the 556 is a hotter round and it's warned against shooting 5.56 in rifles chambered for .223. Personally I rather and do have .223 dies. The .223 can be shot in the 5.56 without a problem. Most bolt guns, all that I've seen shoot .223 and not 5.56 so the .223 dies are more useful to me. I doubt you or your son will notice any difference between shooting .223 or 5.56 out of his 5.56 chambered rifle.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
chris in va

Your son is wrong. That's about it.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Crankgrinder

if his rifle is 5.56 he can shoot either or, and if he is reloading his rounds then he dictates what preasures they are loaded to on top of that. you aint got problems man, and neither does he.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:30 PM   #11
HALIFAX

Quote:
My son paid for the material and I ordered bullets, cases, 223 Lee pacesetter die set and a couple case prep tools. He said his rifle is a 5.56x ??? and I should have bought that caliber. My local GS said 223 material would be cheaper and more available so I took their advice. Did I do right or wrong? Sorry for the bad post, I always complain when someone else does the same thing

You did the right thing. They are the same like everyone else has stated. One is a compressed load the other is not being the 5.56 the compressed load. the materials you purchased are right. You can use .223 data from your load book and use that to run through his rifle. All good!
Old November 29, 2012, 10:45 PM   #12
davery25

This is a myth that's sprung up. The 'higher pressures' measured in 5.56 is the same difference you could get changing primers or firing a load in hot and cold temps.

Military 5.56 rifles have a longer lead (aka freebore) to allow for 62 grain and upward weight projectiles so when you use this ammunition in a 223 (of which many have a shorter leade) the danger is that the bullets gets jammed in the lands and dangerous pressures occur. In practice however i've never heard of this happening and when you consider that some people jam bullets into the lands on purpose (I'm looking at benchrest guys here) you've got to wonder about this as well (im not recommending it though - i don't do it myself).

All civilian arms must also pass SAAMI or CIP proof tests which is far higher then normal operating pressures.

To cap it off i've tested 5.56mm military surplus ammo in my 223 and it worked perfectly fine. What you've done it fine. Load it up

(and just out of interest, if the 5.56mm was ore powerful then how would shooting a lower pressure round hurt it?)
Old November 29, 2012, 10:50 PM   #13
DASHZNT

You are totally fine... Im loading up several thousand .223/5.56 NATO and I can tell you from oersonal exoerience, you're A-OK!! It would be different if you bough loaded ammo and youre gun couldnt handle it but when youre reloading it, as long as you build up a load that you feep works good in your rifle and is accurate, you'll be all set. Thats the best part of reloading is you can control the load entirely!

Following is a link to a site that is very informative about the round in question and you will see for yourself. Also, if you dont have one yet, I would HIGHLY recommend a manual than information you receive from a forum, that could be dangerous if you take the wrong information as gospel.. just my $0.02 worth. Good Luck and Happy Reloading!!

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

DASHZNT
Old November 29, 2012, 11:05 PM   #14
oldpapps

Mox-Nix

You are loading, load for the weapon.
Same brass, same primers, same powder, same bullets, same head holder, same dies, same....
Different amount of freebore (5.56 is longer), different method of measuring pressures.

Longer (heavier) bullets will need a tighter twist to stabilize.

Just prep the brass the same and start with a beginning load for your selected powder. Work up in powder charge till you find what the weapon likes. Watch for pressure signs and keep a record. Also, check each step, before doing great numbers, to make certain that the cases will chamber properly.

Seldom will the best accuracy be found at the max/heaviest loadings.

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK
Old November 30, 2012, 01:48 AM   #15
joneb

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-...irror.htm#diff
Old November 30, 2012, 07:33 AM   #16
crooked stripe

Great reading

Thanks a ton for the link. I will pass this on to my son and that should lay all misbeliefs to rest. John