The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 29, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Goomer

Handguns from PA to NYC

Hello, new member here.
I hope this brain trust can give me some advice.
Up until l last year, I lived in PA. While in PA, I legally owned 2 handguns.
I moved to New York City several months ago, but just recently changed my drivers license to NY. Now I have left my guns in PA with an uncle, but I was wondering how long can I leave them with him. Will this become a problem?
I was thinking that somewhere down the line, the powers that be would realize that I legally own 2 handguns, but am now a resident of NYC, and pay me a visit wondering where they are.
I have not brought them here for obvious reasons, and once I do, I must surrender them to the NYPD property clerk, and apply for a resident permit, which will cost about a grand, and if denied I do not get them back. I have the feeling that once they are in the hands of the NYPD, I can kiss them goodbye.
Does anyone have any insight as to if leaving them in PA for the time being would be a problem?
Thank you in advance.
Old November 29, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Yellowfin

I've been keeping mine in PA while awaiting the NYS pistol license. My advice to you would be to keep yours parked in PA while the Kachalsky lawsuit runs its course, and then once that's settled start the process towards being licensed there.
Old November 29, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Goomer

When you applied, did they ask you where the firearms were?
Were they satisfied with you stating they are in PA?
Are you allowed to leave them?
Old November 29, 2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Yellowfin

What you have in other states is entirely your business.
Old November 30, 2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Goomer

So I am not violating any current laws by becoming a resident of another state and not also immediately legally attempting to transfer them with me. Can I leave them there indefinately without a problem?
Old November 30, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Yellowfin

Yep, not a problem at all. You don't even have to bring it up, really. Again, I'd wait for the Kachalsky lawsuit to open things up a bit for NYC before applying for a pistol license there, as it's going to get a lot better.
Old November 30, 2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Goomer

That's good news.
I was unaware if the pending case, so your right in sitting tight. I will now keep a close eye on the case.
I appreciate your help.
Cheers
Old November 30, 2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomer
I was unaware if the pending case ....
Proof positive that if a thread is stickied, it becomes invisible to everyone else on the board....
Old December 4, 2010, 12:22 AM   #9
ncpatriot

$1,000 for a permit? We fought King George over minor taxes, at least as we see them today. I could not live in NYC. Went once for a day. Liked it OK as a visitor, met some great people there. But I could not live anywhere that trampled my civil rights to that extreme.
Old December 8, 2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Musketeer

PA does not register your handguns. I left mine with a friend there as I was driving back to Long Island (my original home) from a job I quit in Arkansas, another no registration state. Once I had my NYS permit I had them shipped from a PA FFL to a NY one.

I also do not think you can simply drive those handguns into NY State and turn them over to the police while getting a permit. I know that the act of simply bringing an unregisterred handgun into the state outside of FFL chanels is illegal outside of NYC and I would wager they are even worse than the rest of the state.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 11, 2010, 12:15 AM   #11
thrgunsmith

I am a native new yorker

I have not been to NYC in 15yrs, I will never return until I can bring my Glock or whatever else I'm legally packing here in NV.
Makes me sick.