The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2010, 12:54 AM   #1
attila787

45 acp bullets out of spec??

So I'm fairly new to reloading, but I've had success in reloading .223, .308 and some speer 45 tmj match.

I recently bought some 45 FMJ bullets and started reloading when I tried my first 10 to make sure everything was going well. They seemed to be to "big" on the bullet side because I could see rubbing marks on the bullets itself every time I would chamber a round. I have a heck of a time forcing it out just to get the round to eject. It is very similar to reloading .223 rounds for semi autos and not using the small die set.

I have tripled checked everything. Could it be possible that the bullets could be out of spec?

Any way of checking this? The seller on gunbroker does not want to provide the manufacture of the bullets so I can't reference it with others of the same manufacture.
Old March 1, 2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Sport45

What's the diameter and weight of the bullets you're using? For .45acp you should have .452 (cast) or .451 (jacketed) bullets in the 185-230gr (typical) weight range.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:49 AM   #3
AlaskaMike

When you measure them with your calipers or micrometer, also check to see if they might be out of round. I think that would be a little odd, but who knows...

Mike
Old March 1, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
attila787

Thanks for the replies. I have measured and weighed the bullets and they seem to be within specifications.

So now lets talk dies. I'm using Lee carbide dies, but I followed the directions and like I said before I tripled checked everything and I cannot see what could be causing this problem.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If they were ineptly pulled down from surplus, the distortion is possible. If they are new, that would be odd. I think it is more likely you've got some brass with extra thick neck walls. Since the bullet stays the same size under the brass, changing sizing dies won't accomplish anything.

To measure bullets, calipers aren't really precise enough. Get an OD thimble micrometer so you can see ten thousandths. An inexpensive one on sale for $14 is here, and is good enough for shooting purposes. At that price it may be out a couple of then thousandths, but I've had calipers that were out by ten times that.

You'll find most jacketed bullets are 0.4510" to 0.4515", and lead is 0.4520"-.4530". Assuming your bullets are good, what you want to do is measure the OD of the case over top of one of those seated bullets. That dimension should be 0.4670" min. to 0.4730" max. If it is thicker, you have brass with unusually thick case necks. It seems to me I heard some PMC brass had that characteristic, but I'm sure I'm remembering that correctly? With all the many foreign-made brands there are, I'm sure this is not unique to just one brand.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Lavid2002

Is the rubbing on the casing or bullet?
Old March 1, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Good question. I assumed he meant the cartridge case rather than the bullet when he started talking about dies. If the bullet itself is scraped, it might be seated out too far and be wedging in the lands. Some of the foreign hardball seems to have a hemispherical nose rather than the elliptical government ball profile. That more blunt hemispherical nose may require deeper seating? Good thought.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2010, 11:37 AM   #8
physikal

attila787,

I have been experiencing this same problem when loading Berry's 124gr 9mm FMJ's. I would load the bullet to Minimum OAL according to the powder manufacture I was using. Which was 1.12. I had the same problems you did and I finally figured that my OAL was bad. My bullets were jamming into the rifling/barrel and it was a pain in the butt to extract. I figure this problem would go away once the projectile was actually shot out. But I still bumped my OAL to 1.09. Now my only concern is powder compression but I don't think its enough to worry about.

So check to make sure your bullets aren't jamming into the barrel and that's what you're having to pull out that is making it such a pain.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:57 AM   #9
attila787

I'll try all suggestions tonight and let you guys know. As always thanks!
Old March 1, 2010, 12:21 PM   #10
RamSlammer

Are you using a factory crimp die? If so and it's engaging the rounds noticeably, you probably have some thick brass. I get this with IMI and S&B cases - sometimes starline as well.
Old September 30, 2010, 12:06 AM   #11
seig2006

check your head space. every bullet is differant take out your barrel that your going to be shooting the ammo in and put a round in it and make shure it is evenely seated with the barrel. run your finger over the back of the round if it is to high slightly them you head space needs to be ajusted.
Old September 30, 2010, 02:26 AM   #12
warningshot

I'd say this guy is having problems with 'plated bullets'.
Old September 30, 2010, 06:30 AM   #13
PA-Joe

You're not using a 45 cal rifle bullet are you?
Old September 30, 2010, 10:05 AM   #14
AlaskaMike

Guys, this thread is from March.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:47 PM   #15
noylj

Personally, from the descriptions, I would not even be able to guess what is happening. Need clarification of EXACTLY what reloading steps were, dies used, case measurements after each step, a determination of where the cases and bullets came from and if they are round or oval.
We can blather all we want, but the fact remains that if the reloader actually follows the die manufacturer's instructions and the press manufacturer's instruction and understands what is going on from having read several manuals, one will KNOW what is wrong because one would have followed each step.
We need more information and pictures.
I have never had problems chambering a round a the minimum COL listed by the reloading manual.
Also, there is no need to know the bullet diameter better than 0.001" and calipers are more than adequate.
When you start to reload, make one or two dummy (inert—no primer and no powder) rounds for function checks.
1) Take the barrel (or cylinder) out of the gun.
2) Does a resized case chamber easily (make a nice THUNK sound? If so, resizing is OK
3) After the case has been expanded, is the case ID (past the belled case mouth) 0.001-0.002" less than bullet diameter? If so, expanding die is OK
4) Seat the bullet to what appears to be overly long COL (for the .45ACP, I usually aim for 1.280" as being the max COL). Turn the seating stem all the way and then adjust the die body down until you just barely remove the belling of the case mouth until the case can slide in the barrel (generally, you will still see a very slight raised ridge on the case mouth that will need to be eliminated later).
Does the round drop into the chamber? You may have to re-assemble the gun, but can you tell if the case head extends too far (for 1911s, you want the case head flush to slightly under the barrel hood). If the case is too long to chamber, seat the bullet deeper and keep function testing until the dummy round(s) fits your magazine, feeds and chambers. This is the correct COL for your gun and that bullet.
If you check things at each stage, you can quickly determine where the problem is and then you can either fix it or ask for help.
If you can go through this process and let us know, it would help a lot.
Old October 1, 2010, 03:06 AM   #16
warningshot

March! Oh well, I'm always alittle late.