The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1
DJIndy

EIG Breggia, Italy O/U ??

I'm trying to find out about this shotgun. On the barrel it has "EIG-Breggia Italy" on one side and "20 GAUGE MAGNUM" "THREE INCH CHAMBER" on the other side. These are the only text I find on it. It is beautifully engraved, same style but more than on a picture I found of a Belgian Browning Superposed Lightning Skeet O/U. In fact, it looks very much like this gun, with checkering and rounded handle. It has the Italian proof marks "PSF" and "FINITO".
I took it to a gun shop and they said they thought it was an imported "Franchi". I know that EIG imported. I can't verify anything on this gun. If it is a Franchi, where can I find out what model it is? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DJIndy; November 27, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:33 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

First off is it an EIG or a CIE? You list it as an EIG in the title and a CIE in the text.
The PSF only shows that it was poofed with smokeless powder, but there should be an emblem above it.
The FINITO means it was delivered to the proof house incompletely finished condition. What was the emblem above it?
If the emblem above these marks is a crown, it was made up to 1950. If it is a star within what appears to be a cogged wheel then it is post 1950.
Are there any other emblems or markings on the water table(the area that you can't see unless the shotgun is open)?
Old November 27, 2006, 01:11 PM   #3
DJIndy

EIG O/U Proof marks

Thanks for the info. I’ve corrected the original posting, it’s EIG.
The emblems are the cogged wheels above each, the PSF and the FINITO. I picked up a used “Blue Book of Gun Values, Fifteenth Ed.”, which I believe is a 1994, and it lists on pg 1248 the ‘cogged ringed’ star above both the PSF and FINITO, as “since 1951, Gardone & Brescia, finish proof for firearms non saleable”. This really blew me for a loop! I looked at a copy from the library and it shows the same symbols as meaning the same except “finish proof for firearms ready for sale.”. BIG DIFFERENCE.
There are stars on the barrels, 3 on the top and 4 on the bottom.
I’m attaching a picture of the emblems. I think you can see them. The serial number is 0199. Can you figure out a date of manufacture by this?
I really appreciate any information you can help with. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EIG O_U Proof marks 150.jpg (79.3 KB, 493 views)
Old November 27, 2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Saul Eig was an importer from Florida during the 1950-1970 era. He imported cutlery and lots of cheap handguns. I have never seen an EIG marked long gun, but it's certainly possible.
Bill
Old November 27, 2006, 02:18 PM   #5
DJIndy

I have seen the info on this company, but I can't find where they ever listed a 'Breggia Italy' as an import location. I'm attaching pictures of the engraving. The stock is also checkered, as I mentioned. It's pretty intricate for a cheap gun that also shoots great. Again, I don't know that much about them, that's why I'm researching, but I think there might be a different explanation. Why would a gun dealer consider it a Franchi?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bottom.jpg (46.1 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg Side view.jpg (54.5 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (40.7 KB, 393 views)
Old November 28, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6
DJIndy

I've been searching other sites and found one that lists the "Year of Mussolini" dating system. This would explain the XIX on the bottom of the barrel, making it a 1941. The post also listed a Fjestad's where his Year of Mfg. dates matches a newer system of proof marks, 1 or I being 1944, which would make it a 1963. I have no idea which it would be. Does anyone else?

Also found mention of a symbol of a "circle that has three letters in it, EIG". The response to that post was "That trademark says it was made by Tanfoglia Giuseppi of Brescia Italy and imported by E.I.G. of Miami FL before 1968. Any made afer that were made in the USA under the F.I.E. name. Tanfoglia is still in business but E.I.G and F.I.E are not. Info per pages 176 and 73 of Robert Balderson's Official Guide to Gun Marks."

My gun doesn't have the EIG in a circle, just "EIG - Breggia Italy". Does anyone have this book and could you please check the image I uploaded of all the markings on the bottom of the barrel, please? I would greatly appreciate it.

Does anyone know anything about Tanfoglia Giuseppi? I can't find them, either. Are they the 'cheap' guns referred to in a previous post?
Old December 2, 2006, 10:16 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Looking around some more shows that the PSF with two cogged star wheels above it is a re-enforced proof for shotguns with longer than 70mm (2 3/4") chambers. This law took effect 2 November 1962.
The stars are the degree of choke of the barrels with one star being full choke up to four stars being Improved Cylinder or 1/4 choke. CL designates Cylinder choke (no restriction).
The year of proof is also marked with a coded system beginning in 1945 with the Roman numeral I. So your XIX would be 1964. It wouldn't use the Year of Mussolini as then the proof marks would have a crown above them.
As to the monogram to the left of the proofs and below the year mark, I'm not sure but I would hazzard a guess that it is the manufacturer's monogram (similar to the way H&K uses the HK as their monogram on their firearms).
Your photo of the side view also shows some marking on the barrel just in front of the breech. Is that wording or some decorative engraving?
BTW my info is coming mainly from The Standard Directory of Proof Marks by Gerhard Wirnsberger with some support from The Official Guide to Gunmarks: The Ultimate Gun Identification Guide! by David Byron
Old January 8, 2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Asphalt Guy

Hello

XIX is 1963 from my findings.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:05 PM   #9
mete

Breggia is a river on the Swiss-Italian border.The town is in Northern Lombardy .
Old January 9, 2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Asphalt Guy

BRESCIA not Breggia

Brescia, italy is what is stamped on mine. I cant find a makers mark inside or out!!
Old January 10, 2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Asphalt Guy

Eig Brescia

Here is my 12 o/u I don't know who made mine either. The shield is on top of the stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130110_152301.jpg (110.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130110_132259.jpg (172.0 KB, 59 views)
Old January 13, 2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

EIG was a Florida importer. I believe the business later became FIE. Saul Eig originally owned the company. He imported guns from many sources. Most were lower priced items.