The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2015, 08:11 AM   #1
georgiacatweazle

can powder residue set off TSA detectors ?

My 6 year old was going through TSA security yesterday and set off the detectors.
I've not reloaded for about 5 weeks, is it possible my range bag touched something in my truck that he could have picked up a few days ago ?
Old March 7, 2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Jimro

Yes it is possible.

But it is more likely that the TSA detectors had a false positive from some other source. Pretty much any skin product (creams, shampoos, conditioners) contains glycerin, which will set off the detectors.

Even leather conditioners for handbags, jackets, etc, will set off the detectors with a false positive.

Jimro
Old March 7, 2015, 08:29 AM   #3
georgiacatweazle

thats what i was thinking, i heard some soaps can set them off.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4
Jeffm004

It has been awhile but I had a moment. They decided to swab the backpack I carry my fired brass in. I proceeded on without incident feeling relief. But not really relief.
Old March 7, 2015, 12:02 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

In the registered Trap shooting game I would fly to shoots two or three times a year . I always sent my Tarp gun to the club hosting the event and buy my shells at the club or local . The first problem I had has coming home from the west coast . I was wearing my shooting vest and a small amount of powder was in the pockets . After that I sent my vest with the gun UPS back home .