The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2009, 05:30 PM   #1
gotguns?

Tumbler question

I just bought my new tumbler and some walnut shells, fill up half way with walnut and dump 50 .38 special cases in. Tumble for two hours and the outside is shiney but the insides arent. Is this normal, or should I tumble longer?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old March 8, 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
butta9999

The inside does not really become shiny no matter how long you leave it on. I usually tumble my brass over night. If the brass is quite discoloured i leave on for two days.

If it only took 2 hours to make you brass shiny it must be near new already. After tumbling over night you will see an improve on the inside of the case.
Old March 8, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
PCJim

The purpose of tumbling brass is to clean the outsides so that you 1) do not scratch your dies when sizing the case, 2) do not scratch your rifle's chamber when shooting your reloads, and 3) personal pride in a finished product. The tumbling action does very little for the inside of the case, not that it really matters since only the outside of the case will be working against your dies and chamber.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Tex S

Dont sweat the inside. Make sure the outside is clean and grit free.
Old March 9, 2009, 02:57 AM   #5
butta9999

I also found by cleaning tarnished brass i was able to find hair line cracks mainly in the necks of some .223 brass. If i had not tumbled them i would have not found the defects.
Old March 9, 2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Jkwas

So if I wipe down my cases and inspect them, I don't need to tumble? I ask because I'm thinking of getting a tumbler, but mostly to clean out the insides. I wipe my cases down and inspect them one by one for cracking or splitting. I would do this even if I tumbled them. I don't care what they look like as long as they function. Just asking.
Old March 9, 2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Sixer

Forget about the inside of the cases... a tumbler won't really help out much with anything but the outside.

From my understanding, the inside of the case doesn't need to be clean... just free of any foreign objects.

IF you still feel the need to clean the inside, I would try soaking your brass in a solution of water, vinegar, salt, and soap. But again, I don't think it's necessary and it will just take up alot of time that you could be using to make ammo!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old March 9, 2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Russ5924

I normally let mine run about 3 to 4 hours but I use a 50/50 mix of Walnut and Corncob. The Walnut shells clean and the corncob polishes them. Works for me I like my brass to look good, nothing worse is showing up at the range with half cleaned brass
Old March 9, 2009, 11:23 PM   #9
dmickey

If you insist on having the inside of your cases clean, try buying an ultrasonic cleaner. However, in my opinion it is a waste of money. Cases come out clean but not real shiny.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:46 PM   #10
ryalred

The inside of the case does not become shiny, or at least I've never been able to get them shiny.
reloading -- addicted
Old March 10, 2009, 06:24 PM   #11
rclark

I tumble my brass for a couple of hours, sometimes more depending. Usually a couple of hours is plenty. Then wipe each down before resizing. Gives me a change to check the brass. Note that tumbling is 'NOT' mandatory -- just make sure the outside of the case is free from grit that would harm your resizing die.

As for the inside. Don't bother to clean. Never see it when loaded anyway . No harm either to leave it 'dusty'.

I always clean the primer pocket before setting a primer, but I understand that this isn't really necessary either.
Old March 15, 2009, 08:26 AM   #12
James R. Burke

They are all right forget about the inside. I like the outside to look new, and clean the primer pockets for the obvious reasons.