The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 25, 2020, 04:45 PM   #1
2wheelwander

M1A ID question

I'm looking at Springfield M1A's. My local Armslist has me searching and found a few that may fit the bill.

My question is, if it is a Loaded, National Match, Super Match, does it say so on the rifle itself? If I'm looking at preowned rifles, without a box/bill of sale, how do I KNOW I'm getting what I'm paying for. I understand the Match rifles are bedded, but beyond that, I'm new to these and a bit lost. Outside of looking for burred screws, anything I can inspect to make sure I'm not getting a pieced together rifle?

TIA
Old March 27, 2020, 12:43 AM   #2
Scorch

Get the serial number and call Springfield Armory. I sold a Supermatch last year and the buyers were balking at the price because "I can buy a brand new rifle for less". Typical BS from price shoppers. One guy called back several times, so I gave him the serial number and told him to call SA to verify it is a Supermatch. Two hours later he suddenly wants it real bad.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:58 AM   #3
2wheelwander

I just bought a Super on gunbroker. Mcmillan stock with a SS barrel. Beyond stoked to get it in. The more research I did, the more excited I got. I damn near stole it, can only blame the current C-19 pandemic. No one is buying expensive guns right now?
Old March 31, 2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Scorch

No one is buying anything with a wooden stock these days. Can't hardly give one away.
Old April 2, 2020, 09:29 PM   #5
30Cal

Super match will have a massive walnut stock or a McMillan fiberglass. The barrel is beefy all the way out to the gas cylinder. You will be able to tell peaking under the hand guard with the oprod locked back.

You should be able to see the rear lug if you pull the trigger group out, but the old ones won’t have that.

The NM barrel is thick only up to the oprod guide.

The bedding should be easily spotted. Usually around the receiver but definitely in the magazine well.

Lots of people build custom match guns that are advertised as NM or SM and will perform just as well as the factory SAInc ones.

Last edited by 30Cal; April 2, 2020 at 09:35 PM.