The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 28, 2019, 03:26 PM   #1
9ballbilly

T/C contender?

According to the list I just read there are three limited edition contenders that are C&R qualified.

The contender was first introduced in 1967. Can someone help me understand why they are not all considered C&R guns? Was it that the selector switch on the hammer was changed at one point?

Appreciate any light you can shed, thanks.
Old September 28, 2019, 03:29 PM   #2
Scorch

Firearms have to be 50 years old or have a special petition to ATF before that to be listed as C&R. 1967 to 2017 was 50 years, but the newer versions (pushbutton on hammer) won't be C&R eligible for about 5 years or so.
Old September 28, 2019, 03:45 PM   #3
9ballbilly

Thanks,

So does that mean the earlier version is eligible? Or does a petition have to be filed first? Can anyone file a petition as long as the gun is fifty years old?

Sorry, this is new to me and I'm trying to get a grip on exactly how it works.
Old November 7, 2019, 07:47 PM   #4
emcon5

I missed this earlier (and it has been a month), but since nobody answered your question:

To be considered a C&R it has to be either 50 years old, or on the list.

If it can be proven to be 50 years old, it is a C&R, period, and it does not need to be on the ATF C&R list to be considered C&R, and you don't need to do anything to make it so.

Some firearms are on the list, even if they are under 50 years old, because they have collector interest, and someone jumped through the hoops with ATF to get them to add it. Normally these are commemorative guns of some sort, but quite a few are because they are interesting to collectors. Some I honestly don't understand, but I certainly won't complain about, such as the Czech CZ-82 and Polish P64.
Old November 19, 2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Some I honestly don't understand, but I certainly won't complain about, such as the Czech CZ-82 and Polish P64.
From BATF
Quote:
3.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
I've heard because they were from former Iron Curtain countries. Same with my East German Makarov, Walther P1, Yugo SKS, Albanian SKS, and several TT-33 pistol variants
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!