The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 6, 2011, 02:14 PM   #26
the rifleer

So after all these mods, how does your rifle shoot? was it worth bedding/floating it?
Old February 6, 2011, 02:26 PM   #27
sirsloop

The MOJO sights were the biggest improvement as far as accuracy. The stock sights are real piles of garbage. The trigger certainly made it a nicer rifle to shoot. I really have no quantifiable observation about bedding/floating but it was all apart and was a simple mod. I have little problem putting rounds on a 16x9" steel target at 200 yards, prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, off a bench.

If you want a real nice surplus bolt shooter, check out 1903A3 rifles. The peep sights on those are awesome. I hear K31's are real nice too, never shot one. As far as modding out a cheap MN, I probably wouldn't go any farther what what I did. I guess you could put a bent bolt on one, mount a scope, and attain higher levels of precision. Too much money to throw into a cheap gun...
Old February 6, 2011, 03:47 PM   #28
the rifleer

You'd love a k31. I have one and it is a dream to shoot. Its super accurate and the action is very smooth. I've shot an 03', but it was sportierized. I'd like an original one.

I may look into a mojo sight, mine is a 1946 m44 with a near-perfect barrel. It shoots very well. I want to keep mine fairly original, so I'm looking for an extra m44 stock that I can refinish/bed/free float. My problem is that I can't justify spending money on a rifle that I paid $75 for.
Old February 6, 2011, 04:21 PM   #29
sirsloop

hey, a rifle is a rifle... and you gotta think too its only like 20-25c per shot outta a MN.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:53 PM   #30
chasep255

I redid mine. Its worth $90 so why not. One piece of advise I can offer you is that due to the old oil based finish on these rifles the stain won't take to the wood. Being this way I had to use a polyurethane which already had the stain in it.
Old February 12, 2011, 04:24 PM   #31
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I can't remember where I saw it, probably in Surplus Rifle forum, but there was a thread from a guy who contacted Tula and according to their records, Mosin Nagants were built with both Shellac and oiled finishes.

I will look for it, but if I recall correctly, his conclusion was that they all got shellac when they got reworked at the Soviet arsenals over the years.
I stumbled across it while looking for something else.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=118&t=62855

I forgot it had turned into a urinating match.....

Here is what the guy from Tula said:

Quote:
Thank You for Your interest to the guns produced earlier in Russia.
There were two types of finish during the rifle M 1891 production:
1. processing by boiled linseed oil with coloration (toning) and outside surface final smoothing.
2. impregnation in bath on basis of pine tar by liquid-bath method, polishing and shellac varnish covering.
Two methods were used as for the rifles M 1891, so for the other riffle models including civil guns.
Old February 17, 2011, 03:49 PM   #32
Don P

Quote:
A can of non-chlorine brakleen took the shellac off with surprising ease. The stuff flowed off like a river! HA! The "blond" photo was taken immediately after taking off the shellac... basic spray and wipe down with a rag
I doubt this. I tried this method on my MN and I had to work at it for 2 hours and I did not wind up with a blond stock in the end.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.