The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 15, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
NMWPerk

Rain Drops

I bought a Berretta CX4 recently and now that Spring has sprung I'd like to get it outside to shoot. My friends and I have a place to go but it is in an old sand pit and it's supposed to rain this weekend. Since it's a new gun I'm not excited about getting it wet if I don't need to but my buddies are telling me not to worry about it. Any thoughts?

Bill Perkins
Thomas Paine
Old May 15, 2008, 06:46 PM   #2
hoytinak

It's been raining for the past two days here and between yesterday and today I put 1000 trouble free rounds through my Cx4 9mm......just keep it oiled and it'll be fine. Make sure you do a good cleaning/lube afterwards.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Mtdew

Just wrap it in a garbage bag!!!

j/k.

A little rain will not hurt it as long as it's cleaned and oiled afterwords.
Old May 17, 2008, 01:27 AM   #4
guntotin_fool

Get a beach umbrella if your that worried, otherwise, when you get home fill a pan with mineral spirits and lay the whole gun in the solvent, the water will sink off the gun and you are good to go. dry and re oil.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:36 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I just shake the gun vigorously (like I also do the umbrella) before coming inside the house...
Brent
Old May 19, 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
TheManHimself

Dry it off real good and oil up all the metal afterwards. It'll be fine. Just a word of advice if anyone suggests using WD40 on it; that stuff leaves a nasty residue when it dries out that will clog up the internal workings of the firearm. WD-40 is acceptable for displacing water on the exterior surfaces, but you do not want to get it in the action.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
zenner22

I just attended a class where we were outside for 4 hours in the rain and wind. Pretty nasty conditions. There was like a lean-to for cover but at one point during a firing exercise I was under the tarp but the gun was extended out into the rain, in perfect position to also get runoff from the tarp down into the action! I'll be honest I was a bit worried. This happened with a Springfield XD 9 Service. I didn't do anything to the gun until I got home, then I wiped the outside, where I could reach inside and put it up till I had a chance to clean it.

Two days later I disassembled and cleaned with CLP, expecting to see some kind of rust spots in there, but I saw nothing. It held up fine.

Yours will be ok too. I understand it can be a bit nerve wracking first time out. You don't need special cleaners. Wipe it off and clean it with your regular cleaning stuff and you'll be good.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Bruce A. Frank

Everyone seems down on WD-40. Let me say this, it is excellent for doing exactly what you want it to do, move the water out of areas that might rust. If you get home and cannot get to a gun right away the pressure tube on the nozzle allows you to blast WD-40 into the tightest places to get moisture out. Then you can do a proper cleaning job at your leisure.

If you leave the WD-40 for a long time, and I am speaking months, it thickens. It does not get gummy, it just loses all of its thinning solvents and a relatively heavy lubricant is left behind. And, that is easily removed with Hoppes #9 solvent...or any other solvent based gun cleaning liquid. Don't get hyper about WD-40. It does what it is designed to do and does NO harm to any metal or plastic used in conventional firearms.
Old May 25, 2008, 04:12 AM   #9
mellow_c

I hear ya about the new gun worries. I got an AR-10 this winter, and I just had to go break it in. The break in suggested that I clean it every shot for the first 10 shots, then again ever 10 shots up to 100. It was a pretty serious session going out in the mountains doing all that myself (GF helped a little, but mostly just watched) it wouldent have been so bad if it wasnt freezing cold.
After about half the break in, it started snowing, but I wasnt going to just pack up and quit, and then have to go through all that again, so I kept going till I was done. Luckily for me, it didnt snow more than a light dust. Had it been a serious snow, there's no way I would have stayed. I dont want a bunch of snow or rain on my nice brand new rifle, especially since it's the most expensive gun I own!

Anyway, my point is, go shoot it when your ready. It's your rifle, your friends will just have to deal with it if they want to shoot one so bad, tell them to go buy their own, and you'll go shoot it in the rain with them.

Also, like said above, if you do, it's not gona hurt it. Just be sure to clean it when you get home, and be sure to get ALL the water out of it, even use a compressor or hair dryer if you have to, and then do a thorough cleaning and oiling, Your gun will never know it was wet!