The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2018, 11:19 AM   #1
KEYBEAR

A new/old ruger

I bought an older Ruger that was sent to Mag-Na-Port around 1979/80 for the Predator Package . The Predator Package is cut barrel TO 4.5 inches action job and other stuff . It makes a great Revolver to carry an shoot and I had one years ago now a new one This Ruger was unfired and as new after 39 years but it really needed to be used . Monday was the day I shot 25/30 rounds and the Cylinder locket up . I removed the Cylinder and reloaded it and the same thing shot four and locket up . After I cleaned the gun I did some checking the Cylinder has zero end shake also between the Cylinder and Forcing Cone very little gap (.003) . I think I found the Problem .

I called Mag-Na-Port yesterday and ask to talk to a gunsmith . The lady I talked to ask my problem and I told her my findings and that the gun was unfired until yesterday . She put me on hold and came back and said she talked to the gunsmith and he said high primer the Ruger is fine your mistake . To me that was total B.S.
Old September 13, 2018, 12:57 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

What Ruger? Lot of 'em have wee tiny cylinder gaps.
"...shot 25/30 rounds and the Cylinder lockeD up..." You using factory or hand loaded ammo?
"...shot four and lockeD up..." That has nothing to do with the porting. Isn't likely the cylinder gap, but diagnosing that it's the primers without seeing it isn't right either.
Old September 13, 2018, 01:50 PM   #3
tango1niner

What T. O'Heir said. For another shot in the dark look at the PAWL and the back of the cylinder where it engages. Look for bent parts, burrs, unburnt powder, dirt, or anything that doesn't look right.
Looking at an exploded view might help.
Old September 13, 2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Pahoo

Possibly ???

Basic question but have you checked the run-out on the cylinder? Another way to express this is; Is the Gap the same on each chamber? I know that cylinders can develop a slight wobble or lose concentricity. How is the timing and you might want to check for excess side splatter. There is a check for this as well. Take it to a smith and see what he has to say ……

Be Safe !!!
Old September 13, 2018, 02:40 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

Pahoo Yes the Cylinder Gap is the same all around .
T. O'Heir It is not the Primers (with out seeing it) No one said anything about porting .
tango1niner no bent parts no unburnt powder no dirt this is the first time it has been shot .

It is the Forcing Cone the gap from The Cylinder to Forcing Cone is .003 with the gun cool . Fire 25/30 rounds shooting steel plates and the Cylinder is hot (will almost be to hot to hold) When that happens the Gap is gone .
Old September 13, 2018, 03:03 PM   #6
tango1niner

Sounds like you found the problem(s). See any drag marks on the cylinder face? The cylinder having zero end play is a likely issue if no drag marks. Good luck with mag-na-port...
Old September 13, 2018, 03:16 PM   #7
KEYBEAR

tango1niner I have not seen any Drag Marks on the Cylinder Face Really did not look but I can see a little at the back of the Cylinder recoil plate . Yes it has zero end play I have never seen this before . I will be going to see a Gunsmith I trust next week will be an easy fix . I have a Super Blackhawk I do shoot steel with and the Cylinder Gap is .006 never a problem .
Old September 14, 2018, 12:53 PM   #8
tango1niner

Zero end play is not good, everything that moves needs a little clearance. Sounds to me like you may have found the issue...
Old September 14, 2018, 03:07 PM   #9
KEYBEAR

I hope I have this so my Gunsmith and I agree . I trust him totally and he will have the final say . I have been playing with the Ruger today shooting cleaning and shooting some more . If I go slow and do not get the gun warm/hot it work ok not great but ?? I have it sighted in after i filed the front sight sides down I like a little air around the back sight . I cut all the Revolvers front sides down and try to center the rear sight . I like the rear sight in the center or close . It is adjustable but it bugs me if the rear sight is off center much .