The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1
FLChinook

Will S&W K-Frame Wrap Around Target ..

grips fit both square butt and round butt guns? It looks like they're inlet for the SB but the RB might also fit..?? Thanks
Old December 5, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Winchester_73

Quote:
grips fit both square butt and round butt guns? It looks like they're inlet for the SB but the RB might also fit..?? Thanks
Doubtful. If they fit, they would not make a good fit. Some grips are for RB guns, but the grip makes the gun feel like a SB. I don't know of any SB grips that fit a RB.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
highpower3006

Funny you should ask....I had the same question myself, so I tried it.

They will fit, but the only thing holding them in place will be the pin near the bottom and the frame cut at the very top. I am reasonably sure that if you fired it very much the stocks would start to shatter.

I like the feel of the stock target stocks much better than either the Hogue rubber grips or the factory combats. I am going to order a set of Eagle grips that duplicate the shape of factory targets, but are made to fit the N frame round butt.

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/SW-Rs...red-H010R.html
Old December 5, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
FLChinook

A picture is worth a thousand words

I agree there will be potential "slop", but some target grips completely encase the gun handle (i.e., the inletting includes the back strap as well). I wonder if that condition would give a firm fit...
Old December 5, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
FLChinook

In looking through my book, I don't see any RBs in the 1980-95 era having wood target grips. I see lots of magna grips and lots of non-wood grips.

Does this mean if you want nice target wood on a RB 66-3 3", you can't use original (to the gun's era) S&W?
Old December 5, 2012, 12:16 PM   #6
highpower3006

I have never seen any RB to SB conversion stocks for sale that were genuine S&W. However, I am sure that if you wanted to, you could use something like acraglas (sp?) to fill the voids. I was going to modify the set of stocks in the picture using glass bedding compound and fabricate a piece out of aluminum or stainless to fill the rear of the grips.

But then I found the Eagle web site and decided to buy a set of theirs and inlet a S&W grip medallion in them instead. They are not much more money than what a set of originals sell for nowadays and they look like some nice stocks.

BTW this is what my 629-4 Classic DX looks like with factory targets. I really like the look and they are very comfortable.

Old December 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
FLChinook

Quote:
But then I found the Eagle web site and decided to buy a set of theirs and inlet a S&W grip medallion in them instead. They are not much more money than what a set of originals sell for nowadays and they look like some nice stocks.

BTW this is what my 629-4 Classic DX looks like with factory targets.
1. Is this a picture of the Eagle grips or S&W? Is this a RB?

2. Is it easy to move a S&W medallion to a 3rd party grip?

Thanks
Old December 5, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
highpower3006

No, those are the set that I used to show how the SB stocks fit on a RB frame.

The link I posted will take you directly to the portion of the Eagle website that shows their conversion stocks.

I can't speak for others, but I see no problem installing the medallions. You will have to come up with the right size Forstner bit to do the inletting, but they are readily available at hardware stores.