The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
jPhoenix

help understanding what I own here? Browning Hi-power,Ring hammer,Thumb print, pics.

Hello,

I'm quite familiar with modern production firearms. However, I know little of vintage firearms, especially of the Browning Hi-Power variety.

What I have is a 1958-59 manufacture Browning Hi-Power with the Ring Hammer and thumb Print in the slide in very very good, if not excellent or better condition. No Box, no paperwork.

Though I have done some research, I have not been able to come to any definitive answer as to this pistol's worth. Anyone who knows about such things have any idea?

She shoots like new. She's just been put away nice and oiled for quite some time.

Any help would be appreciated.

PICS:

Old March 3, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
AKsRul.e

Here is a discussion I found online.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5191933AA6pS6C

hope it helps.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
g.willikers

The 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms says the fixed sight, commercial version of this era HP, with the polished finish, has a value of $400 for good and $550 for excellent conditions.
The accompanying picture in the book looks like yours, but is associated with the pre war values of three times this much.
Whether this is accurate in the real world??
Hope this helps, some.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4
jglsprings

BUMP - It's very nice, I'll be watching this thread for more details. Good on ya mate for shooting it once in awhile!

Commas save lives...
Old March 3, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
AKsRul.e

Current price guides are WORTHLESS when you are talking about a
50 yr old gun that looks like new.

It would be Foolish to sell that gun to the first schmuck with $500
in his pocket.

If it's not insured you should get it covered somehow.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Dave Anderson

My opinion is this represents the best and most desirable of the commercial High Powers. It was made by FN with total commitment to quality of materials, fit, and workmanship with no corners cut, and no wartime pressure.

The Blue Book suggests a 50% premium for the ring hammer and internal extractor, and a further 60% premium for the thumb print. The pistol as shown was in production for just a few years until the internal extractor and thumb print were dropped, about 1962.

I know of a virtually identical High Power (s/n 87XXX) in virtually new condition, in black pouch with gold zipper (actually not correct era for the pistol but still an item in demand by collectors) which sold recently for the seller's asking price of $800, and the buyer could hardly get his money out fast enough.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Billy Shears

Wow. Stunning. Great pix.

"Made in Belgium" on the slide and it looks as if it left the factory only yesterday. What a treasure. Very nice.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
blchandl2

That is a fine lookin' HP you have there.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

That gun is in good shape, but it's not "like new."
Old March 4, 2012, 05:29 AM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
The 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms says the fixed sight, commercial version of this era HP, with the polished finish, has a value of $400 for good and $550 for excellent conditions.
Those are values from 4 years ago. Hi-Power values have doubled and tripled in some cases.
Old March 4, 2012, 05:33 AM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
That gun is in good shape, but it's not "like new."
He actually said "SHOOTS like new." He described the physical condition of the gun as "very very good, if not excellent or better," and I agree that it is, at least, a 98% gun.

Your actual value may be close to a grand.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:15 AM   #12
jPhoenix

There is some very light flecking of discoloration on the top of the slide that hasn't turned to rust or pitting, yet. I tried to get it pictured in that last image of the markings. It's not pitting or rust, just discoloration as of now. I've been keeping a constant layer of CLP on all of the metal parts for a while. Not really sure what to do about it.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:08 AM   #13
iamdb

You should have no problem at all getting $800 + for that.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 4, 2012, 10:35 AM   #14
shortwave

LNIB, price $1000

VG to excellent $900-$950...

...pics can be deceiving, but without seeing actual pistol, I'd value the pistol in the $800-$850 range.
Old March 4, 2012, 02:17 PM   #15
jaughtman

Price guesstimate.....

would be around $750 - $800 based on ones in that age range/shape that I see for sell at the LGS's here in Alabama.

J
Old March 4, 2012, 08:52 PM   #16
robmkivseries70

I wouldn't shoot it any more until you can find a source for the internal extractor. It's worth more as a collector.
Best,
Rob
Old March 5, 2012, 09:24 AM   #17
jPhoenix

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. As much as I like this pistol, I'm just not one for having a firearm in my stable that I can't utilize. I do enjoy it. You just don't see this type of old-world fit and finish anymore. Yet, I'm not much for just looking and appreciating from a collector only standpoint. However, I also do not want to devalue the firearm so I probably will not be shooting it anymore. I'll need to make up my mind with what to do with her.

Quote:
I wouldn't shoot it any more until you can find a source for the internal extractor. It's worth more as a collector.
Best,
Rob
Old March 5, 2012, 10:01 AM   #18
g.willikers

What exactly is the downside of shooting and enjoying it?
Not that much.
Maybe $300 - $400 in value at the most.
And that only if it's shot a lot and shows it, eventually.
Not a big deal, compared with what new guns cost, these days, really.
It isn't like it's a mutli thousand dollar museum piece.
Shoot the danged thing; I sure would.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:43 AM   #19
kokopelli

That is a very nice, unmolested Belgian HP.
However, to a collector, although it does have value, without the box and papers, having the finish wear that I see and that it has been fired, the value is somewhat diminished.
That gun just needs to be shot. It would make a very good shooter for someone- leave the unfired, boxed up dust collectors in the safe where the owners can leave them when they die.
Value? I think everyone is right about the same price range ~$700-800. I have actually seen similar pieces within the last couple of months go for as little as $600.
Recently, Israel dumped thousands of HP's that were military issue that are being sold as surplus guns as low as $250. I have a friend that is refinishing a shipment of them, and personally have seen a half dozen or so that were almost as nice as yours, and they sold for $450. -That's gonna hurt the value of all the HP's on the market right now.

Tags
browning , hammer , hi-power , ring , thumb