The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 19, 2011, 04:26 AM   #1
laea7777

What is the deal with the Winchester 1300?

My understanding was that Winchester went out of business in 2006 but that FN bought the rights to produce the Winchester 1300 and started making them in 2007. I can find no listing of the FN version of the 1300 on the FN website, but I swear I saw one at Big 5 and at the shooting range recently. When I google 'Winchester 1300 Defender', I get a link to Winchester's website and it lists various 1300 models as a 'Historic Line', no longer in production, last produced in 2006. Many other products are listed as currently in production, meaning Winchester is back in business (unless the entire line and website is owned by FN now). But, what's the deal? Do they (or does anybody) still make the 1300 Defender, or what?
Old May 19, 2011, 05:47 AM   #2
natman

Winchester is currently selling a pump shotgun that's quite similar to the 1300 as the SXP:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...21C&mid=512252

While it's been five years since the 1300 was discontinued, I suppose it's possible that one or two were leftover in the pipeline.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:14 AM   #3
jmr40

I'm pretty sure the new 1300 is made overseas and imported. They look similar to the older gun and parts may well interchange.

It may be a decent gun, but there are too many other choices that are proven to be good guns at near the same price for me to try one.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:53 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Winchester, as a company, died many years ago.
Olin Corporation sold the manufacturing facility in New Haven and licensed the Winchester brand name to US Repeating Arms Company in the 1980s.
USRAC changed ownership, the plant was owned by FN in Belgium at the time it was closed in 2006. USRAC was no longer even a company, it was merely the plant by then, producing Winchester-marked products sold by Browning for FN.

At the time of closing, the Model 70, the Model 94, and the Model 1300 pump were the only guns made there, under Winchester branding, and sold/serviced through Browning distribution, marketing, and repair channels. Browning is also owned by FN.

The Model 70 was resurrected at the FNUSA plant in South Carolina, the Model 94 is made in limited numbers by Miroku in Japan, and the current 1300 derivation is built in Turkey. All are labeled Winchester, along with other guns from various sources. All are marketed, sold, and serviced through Browning's network. Those manufactured outside the US are imported by Browning.

Browning currently holds the Winchester licensed right to use the brand from Olin Corp, Olin still manufactures Winchester ammunition and owns the Winchester name.
Denis