The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
spacecoast

It was going so well until I...

decided to drop a tray of 100 primers on the floor this morning. Combine tile floors with two playful cats and you have a real mess! I think I retrieved all but 4 of them.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Jim243

I've heard of 52 pickup with a deck of cards, but 100 pickup???? Ouch.

Jim
Old December 11, 2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Sea Buck

I love it when that happens. Hope ypu have long nails. I use a magnet to gather up the little buggers...I aso use a electrical tape box with high sides as my primer tray...a little more diffecult getting them out but then I don't flip the damn thing trying to pick up a primer.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

LoL, I am sorry, but I do think dropping a box of primers is required to be considered a real reloader.

My reloading area is carpeted and I always worry about dropping primers. I wonder what would happen if I dropped them and my wife vacuumed one up?

Aint reloading great!
Old December 11, 2009, 09:44 AM   #5
spencerhut

One more reason I use the RCBS / CCI APS primer strips. They are all preloaded so I don't have to mess with them or end up dropping them on the floor.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Cloudpeak

Quote:
I use a magnet to gather up the little buggers
Wow, that must be a really special magnet. Either that, or my magnets are broken
Old December 11, 2009, 11:17 AM   #7
parttime

As far as running over a primer with a vaccume cleaner, I had an experence with that this past deer season at our hunting camp. This last week at the end of the muzzel loading season in Wisc., I was vaccuming the floor of the cabin. I started to hear a rattling sound in the vaccume and then a sharp POP! I could smell the odor of burnt gun powder and shut the vaccume off. I then stood by the fire extingusher and waited for any smoke or flames to errupt. After a few moments I turned the vaccume back on and continued with the cleaning without any negative results. Some body in our camp must have unknowingly dropped a 209 primer and the vaccume found it. In thinking back, if a fire did blaze up, I don't know if I would have put it out or jumped in my truck then drove the 10 miles to get phone service and call the Insurance company. Life is all about choices.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:42 PM   #8
birdshot

carpet dangerous

from my own experience i can say dropping primers into carpet is very dangerous and will result in some bodily injury...

after your wife vacumns. that little lady can get mad.
Old December 12, 2009, 01:53 AM   #9
Lost Sheep

Simple, get the right vacuum.

Most Shop Vacuums have the blower AFTER the filter, so setting off a primer in the fan blades is pretty much impossible. Although, if one lights up in the bucket part, any lint, scraps etc in the bucket may flare up unless you have had the forethought to empty it first, and put a couple of quarts of water in the bottom.

Better yet, buy a Rainbow vacuum cleaner. It uses water as the filter medium.

If you spread a drop cloth under your loading area, spilled powder, primers etc are no cleanup problem at all.

Better still, don't drop any primers.

Lost Sheep
Old December 12, 2009, 06:25 AM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I spilled half a tray of primers the other day. I just swept them up with a dust mop and picked them out the dust pan. (Lenolium floor). Since I have a Lee Breech Lock Challenger I do not have spent primers every where. Every one of the decapped primers goes down the tube to the trash can. I still get a kick out of the little ding sound ever time I deprime a case.
I did have to sweep the whole room to get all those things up though. They have a tendanscy to roll everywhere.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:49 PM   #11
snuffy

Quote:
I use a magnet to gather up the little buggers.
Quote:
Wow, that must be a really special magnet. Either that, or my magnets are broken
DITTO!
I'm not aware of any centerfire primers that are magnetic---except for battery cup type shotshell primers. What brand are those that can be picked up by a magnet?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 12, 2009, 02:44 PM   #12
confirmed shooter

I side-step the old ball and chain by vacuming them up my-self. I did get some in the wrong box once, large rifle instead of large magnum rifle. Had some very interesting 7 R.U.M. shots at the range. Every time I shot, there was a delay in ignation. Wont make that mistake again. charlie sierra
Old December 12, 2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Shoney

According to our local expert, Foxblat, you didn't have an accident, you made a mistake!!!!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111