The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2009, 11:13 PM   #1
buffalo

Crimping .45acp Lead SWC

Just wanted to know do ya'll always crimp 45acp lead swc?. I have only reloaded jacketed bullets(no crimp) so far and just picked up 1k 200g lead swc's and wasn't sure if it was always required to crimp them. I will be shooting these out of a S&W 1911. Thank's alot
Old November 5, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
LHB1

A quick Search will yield many threads on this topic. Summary: For best, reliable feeding, the 200 gr SWC cast bullets are typically seated so that the bullet shoulder protrudes about 1/32" outside the case mouth. With H&G #68 style/shape bullets, this will yield an OAL of 1.240-1.250". Then apply enough TAPER CRIMP (NOT roll crimp) to reduce the previously flared case mouth to .469"-.472". This combination is widely used with good results.
Old November 5, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
spencerhut

Bell a little extra and don't over crimp them. If you over crimp the lead will crush and you will end up with undersized bullets that wobble and keyhole. As long as they chamber you should be fine. Do you have a case gauge? I gauge all my ammo since I'm anal.

Super easy to load.
Old November 5, 2009, 11:52 PM   #4
buffalo

Yes i have a case gauge,i will be using that to get the proper setting on the bullets. I'm gonna do a few dummy rounds first to get everything set up right,i'll try it tomm and see how it goes. Thank's for the replys
Old November 6, 2009, 05:48 AM   #5
whiplash

Just a little tip. I have found that I get better consistancy on my crimping and OAL by seating the bullet first, then crimping second in a seperate step. I am not the only one. It just worked better for me.
Old November 6, 2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Cloudpeak

Quote:
Yes i have a case gauge,i will be using that to get the proper setting on the bullets. I'm gonna do a few dummy rounds first to get everything set up right,i'll try it tomm and see how it goes. Thank's for the replys
You might double check your case gauge by using your removed barrel as a gauge. Sometimes, a round will fit a case gauge but not fit a particular barrel chamber.

Quote:
Just a little tip. I have found that I get better consistancy on my crimping and OAL by seating the bullet first, then crimping second in a seperate step. I am not the only one. It just worked better for me.
I use two dies, as well. I think most loaders of cast bullets do this, too.
Old November 6, 2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Russ5924

Not all Autos like to feed the SWC I would just try a few first. Was shooting next to a guy a few weeks ago and the best he ever got was about three shots before it would jam.
Old November 8, 2009, 08:20 PM   #8
TriumphGuy

I just seat to correct length and run them through a Lee FCD. Works every time.