The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 9, 2009, 05:56 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Pietta and Uberti

Anybody know anything about Pietta buying out Uberti? Does Pietta already own a major stake in Uberti? A stake that would be of a magnitude that would give Pietta control over QC at Uberti?

Tnx,
Old September 9, 2009, 06:23 AM   #2
mykeal

Uberti is wholly owned by Benelli. There is no relationship between Benelli and Pietta. Further, I know of no corporate relationship or M&A activity involving Uberti and Pietta. What is the cause of your speculation?
Old September 9, 2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

We're back to Ronald Reagan; "Well....."

Mykeal,

The same guy at the gun show who would not come off of his Pietta prices, who told me that ASM never made anything for CVA, who didn't know that the Remington Pocket is refered to by the year 1863, who didn't actually have all of the parts under his table that he said he had, who never showed me the boxes for his "brand new" Piettas, told me that "Uberti quality has declined significantly since they were bought out by Pietta."

It is notable that he was trying to sell Piettas (Everybody knows that Uberti's are junk since Pietta bought them out.).

He had George Carlin's ("Nail two boards together") attitude: "If I take a good looking 1851 Colt or 1858 Remington to a gun show and slap any price on it, some schlub will buy it."

I didn't buy his BS or his pistols.

The reason I was asking was to determine is there was any shred of accuracy in anything this guy said.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
dondavis3

I'm told that Uberti is wholly owned by Benelli, (sorry wrong ) and I do not believe Uberti's quality has slipped at all.

Just ask the thounds of SASS shooters - they shoot more in a month than most people shoot in a year.

Do you shoot SASS? It's a lot of fun and everybody shoots "cowboy guns".

Look at: http://www.sassnet.com/

and here: http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

I shot SASS using a Colt SAA in .45 Long Colt and a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Long Colt.

Both are great guns, but the Uberti is a fine gun too and you'll see a lot of them at these shoots.

They have SASS shoots every where in the USA - go visit one - they welcome new people and watch them shoot - they usually train new shooters at every shoot and at some of them you can buy a box of shells and try out several brands of guns.

It's a great sport.

Last edited by dondavis3; September 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Noz

What has happened between Pietta and Uberti is that the Pietta guns were once poorer in quality. They have re-tooled their plant and now the Pietta guns are, in my opinion, superior internally to the Ubertis with the Ubertis still maintaining an edge in appearance.
For all practical purposes they are equally good guns.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:40 AM   #6
CraigC

Uberti is owned by Beretta, not Benelli.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Hawg

Uberti is owned by Beretta not Benneli. There have been some reports of Uberti's not being the quality they were. Around 2000 Pietta acquired new CNC machinery putting their quality on an even keel if not a cut above Uberti in metal work. Uberti finishes might be a tad better than Pietta but Pietta finishes, especially their CCH is not bad at all.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Yup

HH,

I think I remember reading of the history you just described, perhaps in one of your posts.

I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that in terms of annual volume Pietta puts out more units than Uberti. That is not good and it is not bad its just a thing. My last Pietta purchase was the Griswold and Gunnison when it was on sale about six months ago (Cabelas). I think it was the cheapest pistol on the block but it seems fine to me.
Old September 9, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
mykeal

Yeah, Uberti and Benelli, and several other enterprises are owned by Beretta. One of these days I'm going to remember that (probably about the time I forget everything else).

I take heart in being slightly better informed than Doc's gun show vendor.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:13 PM   #10
CraigC

In my experience with a bunch of Uberti's from various importers but only two recently manufactured Pietta's, the Uberti's have all been significantly better guns. Better fit, finish and materials. YMMV.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:58 PM   #11
olmontanaboy

Quote:
In my experience with a bunch of Uberti's from various importers but only two recently manufactured Pietta's, the Uberti's have all been significantly better guns. Better fit, finish and materials. YMMV.
I agree, I've got em both.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:24 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am glad to hear that Pietta has retooled and, hopefully, has better QC. They had nowhere to go but up IMHO.

Jim
Old September 10, 2009, 07:05 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

To Mykeal

Yes....and very likely more honest.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Spikie

Two different mfgrs. I've a new Pietta .44 casehardened and all the metal except for the trigger guard is great. Planes are smooth and unrippled, bluing is dark and durable, lockup is rock solid and in line, casehardening is beautiful, fit and finish of everything is good and tight - as good as I've seen on my ROA, and that is excellent.

Accuracy is dependent on the load. With 25gr fffg Swiss bp and swaged .454 Hornady round balls, the beast shoots in less than 2" at 25 yds. with my wobbly weaver combat stance and grip. With 35 grains of fffg swiss, it spreads vertically to about 5"x2". I haven't tried it with conicals yet because I haven't cast any.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:30 PM   #15
robhof

robhof

I believe the case hardening is actually a coating; at least on the newer models, a friend tried to clean his gun with Breakfree and his hardening ran. He buffed it off and browned it for an antique look.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:13 PM   #16
Hawg

The case hardening is fake on all of them.
Old September 11, 2009, 04:54 AM   #17
messerist

I like both brands. I have a 1862 police made by Pietta about 11 years ago that I have had to tinker with on and off but it shoots like a dream. I handled one at Cabela's a few months ago and the difference btw rvolvers was like night and day. Very well made and you can see the improvement over the last decade in Pietta. I also have a few Ubertis that I bought through Buffalo Arms(they get theirs via Cimarron Arms). I read in THR site that Cimarron receives Ubertis as parts and assembles them in Texas. Is this true? Anyway, I have really liked the quality and look if my Ubertis...although I think they could tone down the finish on the grips. Whew! They look very orange! So there is my 2 cents. Good Luck All.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:19 AM   #18
madcratebuilder

Quote:
The case hardening is fake on all of them.
Yup!, I guess it is one way to keep the cost down, even Ruger is doing it. Even the real thing is a very thin layer and well come off with just steel wool.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:51 AM   #19
CraigC

Quote:
I read in THR site that Cimarron receives Ubertis as parts and assembles them in Texas.
Not true. Cimarron is only an importer. However, according to them, they have their own inspectors at the Uberti plant that pick through the guns so that QC 'should' be a little better. Personally, I like dealing with Cimarron and feel their customer service is pretty good.

I was under the impression that Uberti's have authentic color case hardening. It's just not as vivid as Colt or Turnbull. The Beretta's are definitely fake.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:05 PM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Not true. Cimarron is only an importer. However, according to them, they have their own inspectors at the Uberti plant that pick through the guns so that QC 'should' be a little better.
They do. The stamping are different and also Cimarron used to do their own finishing. Don't know if they still are tho.

Quote:
I was under the impression that Uberti's have authentic color case hardening.
No they do not. Never have to my knowledge. You can't file real CCH, it's too hard. Try it in an inconspicious place on a Uberti CCH part.
Old September 14, 2009, 04:07 PM   #21
Spikie

Well - on the casehardening issue, it may be 'fake' as you say, but (and that is to indicate a real point of differentiation) I have used breakfree (as one gentleman describes), rem-oil, Cabelas BP Solvent, and just about every other solvent, oil and cleaner that I ran into on the gun and haven't affected the case hardening at all.

It would surprise me if the casehardening were an applique, as easy as it is to do, even under production conditions. It would seem to me to be more difficult to apply a finish than to actually caseharden the frame to my way of thinking.

Not saying that someone can't wear off casehardening - I have worn the casehardening off of parts that I have actually done bone hardening on myself - not all that easy, but it can be done. I did a period Hall flintlock replica and wore the casing off of the lock assembly over a period of about a year using only soap, hot water, a dash of simple green and a stainless steel brush... and a little elbow grease.
Old September 15, 2009, 09:25 AM   #22
madcratebuilder

Uberti and Pietta use a chemical process to get the CCH look and is a reasonable facsimile of the real thing. Ruger did use a paint like product that would come off with gunscrubber. I think they(Ruger) have quit using it. The 2nd and 3rg gen Colt C&B use the real bone and charcoal process and actually hardens the surface of the metal.
Old September 15, 2009, 10:31 AM   #23
CraigC

Ruger has stopped doing the fake case coloring. New Vaqueros are now done in a bright polished all-blue finish.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:16 PM   #24
Hardy

Well, Ubertie parts cost more than Piettas--but if you order them you better make sure they are gonna send you what you specified. I ordered a trigger bolt spring for a 1861 Navy---I got a spring that was amost as wide as the frame!
Also, hammerhands are on backorder. Now, Pietta parts are cheaper and can be delivered quickly. The grips on Piettas are not finished as Uberties -- also springs aren't blued--but you tell me. I'm getting disgusted with Uberties.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Hawg

I don't understand why Uberti insists on using that orange stain.