The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2009, 07:05 PM   #1
jtmo3

New revolver makes strange noise

Got a newer M27 that I've put about 1500 rounds through. It works fine. I just have a question. It's always done this but after I put a Wolff standard power spring kit in it, it "seems" like it does it more. When I pull the trigger, I get a ping or tinty sound. Is this normal for a new revolver? My older revolvers do not do this at all. I can't quite figure out what might be causing this other than thinking maybe the hammer block is somehow doing it. Any ideas? Thanks.

John
Old August 1, 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like a spring may be rubbing or binding on something, but there is no way I could even guess where. You might take out the replacement springs, put the OEM back in, and see if the noise goes away. Then replace the springs with the Wolff springs one at a time until you find the cause of the noise.

Jim
Old August 1, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
jtmo3

Ya, I can imagine it would be hard to imagine without holding it. I did take the grips off and the noise continues. If I just barely touch the mainspring while pulling the trigger, the noise completely goes away. I believe it's the mainspring making the noise. It's a standard power rib from wolff. I am going to shot it in the morning just to make sure the gun fires ok with these springs. Have you seen the wolff spring cause a revolver to make a ping type noise on hammer fall? Thanks again for the help.

John
Old August 1, 2009, 10:57 PM   #4
B. Lahey

So you have a machine that goes "ping", eh?

Have you tried unplugging it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc
Old August 1, 2009, 11:16 PM   #5
jtmo3

Unfortunately! Anyway, it is the mainspring. I did a little more research and found others have reported the twang sound with the wolff mainsprings. The rib is right at the strain screw and doesn't sit just quite right. I replaced the mainspring with the factory and sound gone. I can live with a lot, but not this. The difference between the wolff and factory for trigger pull is negligible anyway. Live and learn. Thanks.

John
Old August 2, 2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Tom2

I don't use aftermarket mainsprings in Smiths unless they use a coil, like a snub. I might consider diff. if I was making it a purely target gun but I figure that the improvement is marginal and I want 100% ignition. I would not say that the factory mainsprings are excessively over powered like maybe some of the trigger returns.