The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1
GringoLoco

Duracoat on aluminum question

I searched, but didn't find what I was looking for. I want to Duracoat my WASR-10 AK clone, and I think I'm just going to find somebody to blast it to be on the safe side (was going to just scuff it, but I heard that Duracoat doesn't like blued surfaces, and I think mine might be blued). The question though is I have an Ultimak quad rail on the front, and the Ultimak website says their rails are hard anodized aluminum. Can I Duracoat right over those? Would blasting them do anything? Not sure how to prep the rails. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm going for a desert colored digital camo pattern, if anybody's curious.
Old July 31, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
5whiskey

I would prep the rails the same way I prepped the rifle. Be advised, however, that I don't think duracoat will hold up if you constantly take stuff off and on the rails. Also, I would apply a VERY light coating if I did anything to the rails. Some attachments may have a very tight tolerance.

Honestly, I would paint the rail mount but I wouldn't paint the actual rails. I would get some colored rail colors that will fit in with your theme. IMHO. I think you'll get better service from doing that. Otherwise, duracoat should go okay with aluminum, and I would prep it the same way I prepped the rifle.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:30 PM   #3
isanchez2008

Ditto on going light with the duracoat on rails. I installed a TangoDown vertical grip on a Sig 556 SWAT. It was Dark Earth from the factory and was extremely tight.