The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2008, 04:09 AM   #1
Whiteboy67

Mossberg 590 12ga stock questions

Just purchased a mossberg 590 shotgun from Big5 the other day and I was wondering what a good pistol grip stock would be to add onto it. I've been looking and this one keeps popping up all over: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38885-1.html

It interests me because of the recoil reduction+pistol grip which I want, but for $100+ I want to make sure it would do the job. Has anyone tested it?
Edit: What shells would you recommend shooting? This will be my first time shooting a shotgun so I don't want something that will kick my ass when I fire them.

This is my first gun btw, also bought a marlin .22 to shoot cans with.

Last edited by Whiteboy67; December 10, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Whiteboy67

You will probably get a lot of LOVE vrs HATE on this product. Overall I am not in favor of spring dampening style stocks. There is a chance of getting bloody from incorrect hand position. The push forward on the forend shooting style that I use does not work with this type of stock.

Now, as far as product quality, I have tested both the mesa tactical and Knoxx industries systems. I did not like the fit and construction of the Knoxx industries stock. The Mesa tactical system with the new recoil buffer seems well built and smoother under recoil.

I am in great favor of adjustable stocks on fighting scatterguns, certainly if different folks are going to use the gun, or if the user is vested up occasionally. As far as recoil reducing stocks, after years and years of correctly shooting buck and ball I do not seem to recognize standard 12 ga 2 /3" shells as painful as long as I do my part, have the right pull length on the stock and have a good recoil pad, so the benefits vrs the disadvantages are not worth it for me.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 10, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have never tried such a recoil reducer... Kinda glad too! SGB pointed out a possible pinch if held wrong and I sure woulda been embarrassed if that happened to me with grandma standing there! I assure you the expletives would flow in one continuous word!
Brent
Old December 10, 2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Whiteboy67

Bah now I'm debating whether I even want to get pistol grip on this gun or not. No one I know has a shotgun so I can't really test the pistol grip versus the other style out, they all have rifles. Now since you talk about all the pinching I'm starting to steer away from that one and look for a different one. How would that stock pinch me though? Would the force of the gun push the stock and the gun closer together, then back out and possibly pinching my arm in the process? It doesn't sound that bad, but then again I haven't fired this gun yet and I don't fully know :P

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to keep shopping and see what else is out there.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

Whiteboy67

The pinching thing is not that bad, there is a chance of pinching your thumb if it gets placed in the wrong on the stock.

Again, if recoil is a BIG problem for you then OK you need it, if not there are many other stocks available. My favorites are Speed Feed and Hogue. You could check them out.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 10, 2008, 08:52 PM   #6
nimbleVagrant

I have a speedfeed on a remington 870 and it like it a lot. On my 590 I kept the original stock because the position of the safety, on the tang, is not conducive to safe and efficient operation. That's my preference, but you may want to take it into consideration.
Old December 10, 2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Whiteboy67

Well I haven't fired my gun yet, I get it next week so maybe I'll just fire the gun a few times and see how bad the recoil is. I mainly wanted the spec ops stock for the pistol grip that looks a lot more comfortable to me, but then again, idk. I did see those speed feed stocks though, question (it's a dumb one probably) but those speed feed stocks I noticed you put the shells into them. Do those just "hold" them or do they actually get loaded into the gun and are able to be fired?
Old December 10, 2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Scattergun Bob

Whiteboy67

Basically the speed feed stock comes in 2 styles, shell carrying and regular. the shell carrying version has storage in the stock for shells on each side, I personally do not use this type, I use the solid speed feed reduced pull stocks on all of my 870 and mosseberg defensive scatterguns. Some are pistol grip and some are straight, depending on my mood at the time.

If I were in your shoes I would first shoot the gun frequently until I understand how it works and understand what I need to do to make it go. That usually takes me a case or so of ammo. After that I would sit down and think thru EXACTLY what I want to do with the gun. The most commonly accessorised firearm is defensive shotguns, and Scattergun Bob has 2 full file cabinet drawers of STUFF for scatterguns that DID NOT do what I wanted! So take it from me, THEY COME IN THE FACTORY BOX, SIMPE AND EASY TO USE, NEAR PERFECT, READY TO GO, YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO PUSH THE GO BUTTON.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A coupla things.....

First, the best stocks for most shotgun uses are standard ones. After 200 years of design changes and mods, the design pretty much has been optimized.

An aftermarket, premium pad is usually a good investment. Get the stock fitting you and do not worry about gadgets.

Any of you Knoxx fans taking umbrage to that, sorry. Anyone so umbered is welcome to bring your pet gadgeted shotgun to MD and shoot it against me and one of mine wearing wood, as G*d intended shotguns to wear. We'll shoot your choice of COF, ammo and distance. Results posted rat cheer and on THR.

Like my challenge for PG only owners, I expect this one to go unanswered.

Best shells are the lightest you can find. Winchester, Remington and Fiocchi make 7/8 oz loads of birdshot. These are effective for clays, plinking and even some hunting and pack much less pain to folks with ungelled form issues.

As your form and fit improve, you can work up to heavier loads.

Walk before trying to run.

HTH....
Old December 11, 2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Whiteboy67

Alright thanks guys, I think that is best approach to just cycle some rounds through and get used to the gun before changing anything on it at all. I still want to get the ghost ring site though, because right now it just has the front sight and nothing else.
Old December 11, 2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I suggest shooting it with the bead, at least for now.

A bead is.....

The absolute fastest system.

Reliable and easy to use.

Less potential to snag stuff at bad moments.

Most folks can use a bead out to 50 yards with slugs. Since shotguns are close range weapons, a bead's a viable choice.

True, my two slug shooters and venison getters have peep/GR sights, but my pet parts 870 slides KO Brenneke slugs into 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards from the bench with merely a bead. That works out to Minute Of Deer Shoulder in my book.
Old December 12, 2008, 03:07 AM   #12
Marred

Just my 2 cents but first I love my 590 but the reason you might want to rethink a pistol grip is the 590 as is, lets you keep your hand in firing position to work the slide release and the tang safety, something you will give up with a pistol grip. With a pistol grip you'll have to bring your thumb up and around the grip and then back again for the safety and you'll have to shift your hand around the grip to activate the slide release and both these actions take your hand out of firing position. This in my opinion takes away from the user friendliness of the 590. Although pistol grips do look cool the 590 looks cool and is designed to keep it aimed and your finger near the trigger while working the safety and slide. Hope this helps.

Federal Premium Power Shok Low Recoil H13200, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 9 Pellets, 1140 fps, #00 Lead Buckshot.

Last edited by Marred; December 12, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old December 12, 2008, 03:26 AM   #13
Whiteboy67

Bah lol I'll just leave the gun completely stock then Thanks for all your guys input.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:15 AM   #14
murphjup

Mossberg 590A-1 YES!!!

Cruiser NO!!!

Old December 13, 2008, 09:19 AM   #15
ThreeStepsAhead

I got a 590 with just a pistol grip...and it's pretty awesome.

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old December 14, 2008, 06:58 PM   #16
lmccrock

Quote:
What shells would you recommend shooting? This will be my first time shooting a shotgun so I don't want something that will kick my ass when I fire them
I have a 590, used to shoot it in 3gun matches. As long as the stock is firmly on my shoulder, no problem with any 2.75" shells, up to full buck and slugs. However, low recoil buck or slugs would be a good choice, and still put a thumping on anything you hit. Federal, Remington, and Winchester all have a variety of products.

Lee