The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 29, 2016, 12:08 AM   #1
Cosmodragoon

Best Cheap Cabinet for Gun Stuff?

No, I'm not looking a "gun safe". Yes, I understand that a thief with some combination of time, tools, dedication and opportunity can get into just about anything. I'm just looking for a nice, relatively inexpensive, metal office-type cabinet with a basic lock that will hold a small gun collection along with accessories, supplies, ammo, etc. Links to any good recommendations would be welcome, as would discussion on features or personal experiences with this kind of storage solution.
Old August 29, 2016, 12:18 AM   #2
Water-Man

Have you looked at Stack-On gun safes?
Old August 29, 2016, 02:01 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I use a office type metal cabinet (from office supply store) for my rimfire ammo, some knives, and general shooting stuff (holsters, cleaning stuff, etc), but no guns. It's pretty full. I guess the only bad thing about them is there are too few shelves. But they support a lot of weight (180 lbs each).

This is precisely what I have. Have two of them. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Cabinet-With/

You can get much more expensive locking cabinets.

I very much like the metal cabinets with doors. The doors keep my cats out. as well as prying eyes.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; August 29, 2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old August 29, 2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

Have you considered a basic locking tool chest?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-...5CH2/203182696

I'm not advocating this one in particular, I just googled tool chest and picked the first one to use as an example. Many of these have locks, which won't slow down a thief for more than a few seconds, but are quite capable in terms of storage of accessories, tools, or even half a dozen guns.

I picked up a $40 three-drawer model last year for spare parts and cleaning tools, just because I finally got tired of digging around in my tool boxes every time I wanted to find a jag or a bore brush or whatever. But I could just as easily empty out the bigger bottom drawer and put a half-dozen handguns in there if I wanted to.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:58 AM   #5
FAS1

Quote:
This ^^^

For what you are looking for they have several models/sizes to choose from, however they will only keep your kids hands off your stuff. I have one that I keep misc. accessories/ammo in. It doesn't take any time or special knowledge to break into one with just a couple basic hand tools.
Old August 30, 2016, 11:44 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Metal cabinet from a used office furniture shop. They're relatively inexpensive and usually have at least one shelf.
Mind you, the typical "gun safe" found in Wally World, etc will do. Lot depends on how big you need it.
Old August 30, 2016, 12:01 PM   #7
JWT

Take a look at what both Stack On and Homak have to offer. Can find them at Amazon, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. You can add shelves and line the cabinet too if you want to do so.

Both companies make safes and gun cabinets, depending upon what you want and how much you want to spend.
Old August 30, 2016, 01:09 PM   #8
ZEBRARANGER

Lockers are good for storing ammo and accessories, and they can be locked. They're readily available used as many liquidators sell them cheap. They come in different sizes and configurations, they're strong, sturdy and hold a lot of weight. I use a small one that I added additional shelves to for my ammo cabinet. I have another one that I use for accessories and empty rifle cases.

Old August 31, 2016, 08:48 AM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I'm just looking for a nice, relatively inexpensive, metal office-type cabinet with a basic lock that will hold a small gun collection along with accessories, supplies, ammo, etc. Links to any good recommendations would be welcome, as would discussion on features or personal experiences with this kind of storage solution.
I have some locking plastic and metal cabinets. The pertinent features are closing doors and simple keyed locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1
For what you are looking for they have several models/sizes to choose from, however they will only keep your kids hands off your stuff.
That's all I need them to do. I need them to be hard enough to get into that no kids will casually open them to discover interesting things.

If a thief steals my things, I can get new things. If a child in my home is injured or causes injury, that's a bigger problem.
Old August 31, 2016, 09:50 AM   #10
g.willikers

Don't underestimate your kids.
Old August 31, 2016, 12:41 PM   #11
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Quote:
For what you are looking for they have several models/sizes to choose from, however they will only keep your kids hands off your stuff. I have one that I keep misc. accessories/ammo in. It doesn't take any time or special knowledge to break into one with just a couple basic hand tools.
As I acknowledged in the original post, time and dedication go a long way towards defeating locks and other barriers. The way I see it, the real point of locks and other barriers is to make it more of an uphill effort. Steeper is better but budget can cap the slope. An added benefit to these various cabinets and chests is that they don't look like "safes". I don't know much about burglary but aren't safes high on the priority list?
Old August 31, 2016, 02:10 PM   #12
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
Don't underestimate your kids.
Point taken, though I think this should be remembered for more expensive solutions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
As I acknowledged in the original post, time and dedication go a long way towards defeating locks and other barriers.
I start with the assumption that any security measure can be defeated given sufficient time and determination. A locked cabinet may constitute a small impediment to burglary, but it is a kind of moral bridge a lad would cross were he to go about defeating it to get at my things.

If someone wants to cross that bridge, a safe won't stop him. We've all seen Goldfinger.
Old August 31, 2016, 10:54 PM   #13
Old Bill Dibble

Picked some nice heavy duty metal cabinets at a misurp auction for pennies on the dollar. Holds all my stuff.