The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 24, 2008, 10:11 AM   #1
FALPhil

Pride-Fowler?

I am in the market for a new scope. I am a pretty big fan of scopes with BDCs. I have been considering for a new target/tactical application, a Pride-Fowler model RR800-1 which can be found here:

http://www.rapidreticle.com/rr800-1.htm

I would like to correspond with anyone who has used one of these scopes. The few reviews I have found online give them favorable marks.

One of the features that I am interested in is the first focal plane reticule. To me, an FFP reticule makes a lot of sense on a variable power scope with range finding capability. The RR800-1 does not have a specific range finder built in, but the reticule appears to have enough reference marks that one could figure out an easy to use approach to range finding.

Some of the questions I have:

1. How does this scope compare to the Zeiss Conquest MC scope with the Rapid-Z 600 Reticle?

2. Currently, I only have access to a 600 yard range. Considering the upper end of magnification of this scope is 9x, and I find resolution somewhat marginal at 600 yds and 9x with my current scopes, is the glass on this scope good enough to have decent resolution at 9x and 800+ yards?

3. How satisfied are you with this scope?

Thanks to any and all who care to express an opinion.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
jmorris

I have a Pride Fowler scope on my Clark 10/22; it’s a good scope for the money. My Zeiss has much better glass but cost more. My favorite range finding/compensating scope is the Shepard, it has two reticles one in the first focal plane another in the 2nd focal plane. The glass falls between the Zeiss and Pride Fowler. The biggest POS of BDC scopes is the Leatherwood.

I find BDC scopes best for hunting applications as they are a bit too busy for target shooting and you are also shooting at known distances.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:05 AM   #3
FALPhil

On the market for another scope, so I thought I would resurrect this ancient thread and see it there was more Pride Fowler experience in the pool of readership here.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
HiBC

Not real sure of current availability.Safariland somehow became involved.
I have the 30 mm tube 10 x RR 800.I'm pretty satisfied with it.

The reticle is rather fine lined.In poor light conditions its not so good.

Based on that,its a good scope for fun and recreation.Probably not so much for serious purposes.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
big al hunter

I have no experience with pride Fowler. However I do like the BDC on Alpen scopes and Vortex scopes. My FIL has an Alpen on his win 70 300 win mag. He has used the BDC at 600 yards, on the money. The glass is about the same as the ziess, perhaps slightly less bright but very clear. The Vortex Viper series starts at close to 400$ but its worth saving for. I have 2. Both are clear and bright. I haven't been able to shoot them past 200 yds yet, but the scopes will do better than I will at long range.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Scorch

I have a Pride-Fowler scope on my 77/22. I am not impressed with the optics, and the scope cost too much for just a Christmas tree type BDC scope. I would advise you to try something else.