The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 28, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1
jd3020

Marlin model 60

Hey guys i have a buddy that brought me a marlin model 60. he says he hasnt shot it for 8 or 9 years and he got it like 10 years prior to that. 7 or 8 years ago he quit shooting it becuase he said something fell out of it and he didnt know what it was or where it went. I got it home last night and loaded it up to see if it would shoot and it shot like a dream. The only thing i noticed is that the bolt does not hold open on the last shot. I have a year old marlin model 60 and it does hold open on the last shot and it also has a seperate lever you push to close the bolt. My question is did the older marlins not hold open on the last shot?

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old January 28, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Jbotto

You're correct. The older Marlins clicked on an empty chamber unless you counted your rounds. Pull the bolt back and push it in to lock it open. The newer LSHO (Last Shot Hold Open) is pretty handy! I don't know when they changed this though...
Old January 30, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
jd3020

ok another question on this model 60 there is a small white plastic piece at the rear of the firing mechenism. it appears to of been square at one time with a round hole. when i tore this gun apart it looks as tho its broke and missing half of it. Here is the photo of it

model 60.jpg

can any one tell me if this is supposed to be like this or not and also does it do any thing important. If it dosent and is just a spacer im considering leaving it out as it will cost more in shipping then the piece is worth.

Old January 30, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Mals9

You have a broken buffer, you can get them from Numrichs or on auction sites for cheap. The black ones are supposed to be better than the white ones. There should be a plastic pin the holds the buffer between the side plates of the action. The buffer is most often damaged by shooting hyper velocity rounds. These beat the buffer to pieces. If you stick to high velocity, 1260 fps, you will be have no problems. Marlin intoduced the last shot hold-open in the mid '80s.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Jbotto

Mals beat me to it. Broken buffer. Some Marlin shooters just replace them every so often and just keep shooting their favorite hyper-velocity ammo. I avoid that in mine, but that buffer gets inspected well every time the rifle gets taken apart.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Scharfschuetzer

I'll bet the missing half of that buffer is what your friend noticed as falling out.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old January 31, 2012, 06:53 AM   #7
jd3020

so is it important to replace it. He said after he saw the piece fall out he put it back in his safe for 8 years. i got it and loaded it up and it shoots just fine. every where i look for one they are sold out. its missing the front take down screw so i wonder if when he lost this its put extra stress on the buffer and broke it.

Old January 31, 2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Scharfschuetzer

I would say that your signature's statement by the Duke fits the rifle's former owner to a tee!
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old January 31, 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
TriumphGuy

Quote:
so is it important to replace it.
Yes. Both are cheap, should be less than $20 shipped. I'd just order them now and wait for the parts before you shoot it. You said you had another model 60 anyway.

Tags
.22lr , marlin , marlin 60