The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 3, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
globemaster3

Cabelas doesn't offer military discount on ammo

Just made a trip to the Hazelwood Cabelas tonight and picked up some ammo on sale. Normally, Cabellas offers a 10% discount for military, so I showed the cashier my ID. She informed me that they no longer offer the discount for ammo.

Anyone else have that experience?
Old January 3, 2012, 10:22 PM   #2
mwells72774

hardly anyone does the military discount anymore
Old January 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3
SHNOMIDO

Haven't you heard? The war's over.
Old January 4, 2012, 07:05 AM   #4
globemaster3

I know your sarcasm was meant in fun about the war, but you greatly missed the mark.

As for nobody offering the military discount, my experience is quite different. Bass Pro still offers 10%. Lowes offers 10%. Multiple eating establishments locally offer some discount, especially when I'm in uniform.

Don't take it wrong, I don't think I am entitled nor demand a discount because of my service. I am humbled by the businesses that do this out of respect. But if I am going to spend my money somewhere, I will use the places which give me more for the money.
Old January 4, 2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Don't take it wrong, I don't think I am entitled nor demand a discount because of my service. I am humbled by the businesses that do this out of respect. But if I am going to spend my money somewhere, I will use the places which give me more for the money.
You don't demand a discount, but you aren't going to shop with them if they don't give it? Apparently you weren't that much of a regular customer to begin with. They stopped their military discounts back on Labor Day.
Old January 4, 2012, 08:21 AM   #6
globemaster3

DNS, it's way too early to engage in a urinary Olympiad on this.

So you don't seek locations that offer the best price on anything?

Cabellas is 45 mins-1 hr away, so no, I don't get over there but every 3-4 months. But when I go, I normally stock up a bit. It's much more likely to find me in Bass Pro since I drive past it once a week.

And before we go too far off the rabbit trail, yes I am a supporter of my LGS as well, but they don't sell some things I regularly purchase.

Now, back to the point of this whole thread, sounds like at least DNS has experienced what I am talking about, so it's not a local phenomena.
Old January 6, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
SHNOMIDO

My sarcasm was not meant in fun.

I wasn't trying to rile up a serviceman. I love my country and i love my military.

I think its a shame that your patriotic sacrifice is a marketing gimmick, not a permanent respect.

I guess what im saying is, my sarcasm was directed at Cabelas, not at you.
Old January 6, 2012, 04:44 PM   #8
jcsturgeon

I don't understand why military service would entitle someone to 10% off everything they buy forever. You weren't drafted, you made a career choice. I respect military service, but why should I pay 10% more than a service man or woman?
Old January 6, 2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
DNS, it's way too early to engage in a urinary Olympiad on this.

So you don't seek locations that offer the best price on anything?
Sure I seek the best prices, but you are shopping at Cabela's and so I know you aren't talking about getting the best prices. You are upset that Cabela's isn't giving you a discount and talking about how other places are, as if to suggest that a 10% discount means getting the best price. That isn't the same thing as getting the best price. 10% of a bunch of things at Cabela's or Bass Pro is still 1-20% more than getting it many other places.

We go to Cabela's several times a year. My kids like to show up for the feeding of the fish and to look at the mounts around the store. Then we walk around and look at all the cool stuff. We then go home and do a little internet shopping and PRESTO we save a lot more money than any 10% discount. A lot of their items can be had through Amazon and qualify for free shipping. Free shipping and no sales tax is 8% off right there, and sense Amazon has numerous vendors, often the price will be lower as well. Sportsmans Guide also offers many of the products carried by Cabela's and Bass Pro and if you join the little club, you get an additional discount. If you buy ammo like I do, the fee for joining the club is made up for with the first ammo purchase as compared to buying at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

So a 10% discount because you are a veteran sounds really cool and helpful and respectful of your service, but don't be duped into believing that you are getting the best price. Chances are, you aren't.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
globemaster3

First, I'm not upset that hey stopped. The economy is tight, they've probably seen a reduction in business, I get it! I am by no means calling for a boycott or ranting over this. Heck, I'm not even mad about it. I was just simply trying to 1) determine if this was a nationwide thing and 2) let other vets know in case someone who might be driving a ways like I do know in advance. Will I stop going there? No.

I agree, Cabellas is higher on a lot of things than what you can find on the Internet. Amazon prime is a great thing! That's why I only look for certain things I know they are normally pretty good on. That and it gives the wife some quiet solitude for a while at home.

Thanks for the tip on Sportsmans Guide. I'll look into them.