The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 2, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Gbro

Charging Buck

This is a story from our local paper.
I have been in a position where I have had to step out of the path of a running Doe.

Bill Polson had no time to react. The eight-point buck was bearing down on him at full speed.

Polson, of Esko, was hunting pheasants in a South Dakota corn field when the buck came charging at him.

The full story here;

I hope this link works for you.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
DTrain

WOW! That's crazy right there.
Old November 2, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Deerhunter

12 or so years ago my buddy and I were out pheasant hunting (day of his wedding none the less). We had enough time to hunt for a few hours the opening morning of PA's season. We were with 2 other guys. We were doing the same thing walking back toward the other guys though uncut corn. We had about a row or 2 between us. Out of no where a 6 or 8 point buck ran right between us and kept on going. Still to this day can't believe it happened.
Old November 2, 2010, 01:14 PM   #4

The first eight point I ever shot turned and ran right towards the big oak tree I was sitting under. I hit him with a 12 guage slug from about 20 yards away and when he ran past I could have literally reached out and touched the side of him.

That deer had no idea I was there but, they do crazy stuff when they're spooked.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:36 PM   #5
markj

We were hunting a grass field opening day years ago, a large buck came into the field at a dead run headed for my cousin Tim. Yelled at Tim to move, he turns and moves same time, buck brushed him as he went past.

I was hunting turkeys and was in a cane field, couldnt get between them canes so had to follow the path, a buck came at me full run, I tried to slide in between them canes just as he went past.

When deer are spooked they run fast, best get out of their way.

Found a dead deer, someone shot him in the back with an arrow, he run himself to death arrow slapping his back, someone cut his antlers off and left him there.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Bucks are a greater danger to people than mountain lions, on average, and that isn't including the people that crash into bucks (and deer in general) with vehicles.

Everyone thinks deer are gentle and timid. Many are, but some and especially bucks in or near the rut can be dangerous.

In Poison's case, I can't tell from the story if the deer charged him intentionally or if it ran into him as a result of running from the other hunters.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:22 PM   #7
won-a-glock

Being well armed makes little difference if you're not going to use the weapon to stop the threat. Since few animals know what a firearm can do much less what it is, presenting a weapon won't likely stop a charging moose or ground squirl.

I hope all recover well.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:42 PM   #8
longranger

Local L.E.O's here last year had to shoot a Mule Deer Buck that killed a couple of dogs that were tied up outside the owners house.Rut is just starting it gets interesting to say the least.We have an "excessive amount of deer in town.Police officers shot 50 deer in the town limits last year.
I have had a very nice 6X5 hanging around the house on Sunday he had what appeared to be a pillow in his rack.Yup the rut is starting.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Gbro

Quote:
Being well armed makes little difference if you're not going to use the weapon to stop the threat. Since few animals know what a firearm can do much less what it is, presenting a weapon won't likely stop a charging moose or ground squirl.
Being he survived this incident I would bet he will be a shooter next time. Then he will have to convince the Conservation officer that his life was in danger.
This is kind of a wildlife Tueller Drill
Old November 2, 2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Countertop

Similar thing (well, without the actually physical contact) happened to me pheasant hunting last year.

I was on the far rear corner of a food plot, we had 5 guys driving up the plot, and a split second before all the pheasants took off out comes the by far biggest deer I've ever seen bearing down full speed right in my direction. He passed by about 5 yards to my right running across the field, tripping and falling flat on his face, rolling, getting up and continuing to run off.

One of the strangest things (and did I say it was the biggest - by far - deer I ever saw) I ever saw