The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Jector

How do you chose the bullet?

There seems to be a myriad of bullets available (well, normally manufactured anyway) how does one chose which bullet to load? Are there big differences in, say, 150 grain .308 bullets from different manufacturers? I was talking to a friend that always used 150 gr. Remington Bronze Point bullets in 30-06. They are apparently a seasonal run (what season?) and not available at Midway. Is there a bullet that could be considered a modern equivalent? I also wonder about the high-end bullets at $1 - $1.50 a piece like some Barnes and Noslers?

Game: Whitetail deer, Northeast.

TIA
Old October 25, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
emcon5

I think some of the ridiculously expensive bullets are lead free, for places where it is required by law.

In .308 am partial to Sierra bullets, but I would be hard pressed to explain why. I purchased a box of their 150GR Spitzer boat tails when I started reloading for my .308, got good accuracy out of them, and will stick with them simply because I see no need to fix something that isn't broken.

Pretty much any modern bullet designed for big game hunting will be fine. The Deer won't know the difference.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:36 PM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Projectiles should be selected based on the type of target it is intended for.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:47 PM   #4
reloader28

I to like Sierra bullets,but my primary 30-06 load is 150 gr Horn SST's. They shoot a 3/4 inch group with no problem and are deadly on deer and elk. Most reloaders I know around here cant get good enough accuracy from Barnes for some strange reason and dont like Nosler prices. We all shoot Hornady, Sierra, and occasionally Speer. I have been impressed with Remington bullets to.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Jim243

Each of us have our own favorite, I don't load 308 but do load 30-06 basicly simular and prefer Hornady bullets, their SST in paticular. For the 308 it is #30302 150 grain nice bullet and very accurate.

Jim

The season is summer, so they can sell them out by Deer season.

Last edited by Jim243; October 25, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
LHB1

Quote: "Projectiles should be selected based on the type of target it is intended for. "

+1. But since there are myriad bullets that may do the job, our choice is also based on experience and preferences in brand, style, weight, availability, price, etc. For rifles I prefer Nosler bullets for hunting and Sierra bullets for pure target work. For pistols I prefer lead bullets cast from an original Hensley & Gibbs mold using wheel weight or similar alloy and lubed with 50/50 ALOX/Beeswax formula. There are many other good bullets available but these are the ones I have used with successful results and few problems over the last 46 years of reloading experience.
Old October 25, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
Jector

Quote:
G'day. Projectiles should be selected based on the type of target it is intended for.
Ah, got it, then this is what I need...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitetail bullet.jpg (41.5 KB, 233 views)
Old October 25, 2009, 05:53 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

Practically any bullet in a typical hunting weight is fine for deer within 300 yds. The low end factory ammo soft points have taken a lot of game under those conditions.

The Nosler Ballstic Tip and Sierra GameKing are good quality and relatively inexpensive and plenty good for deer. You would only need to switch to the premium (aka, expensive) bullets like Nosler Partition or Accubond, Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes TSX, or Swift Sirocco if I was shooting a magnum or going after tougher game such as bear or elk. If you can afford them then the premiums make a great all-around bullet.

On the other hand, the cost of bullets is cheap compared to other hunting costs, so buying 100 premium bullets every season to practice and hunt with is pretty cheap. You have your choice of solid metal, bonded core, or A/H frame construction.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 25, 2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Christchild

I've always been a Stickler for quality, and TOP Quality whenever I can afford it, even though it's not always necessary...Some call it "OverKill", I call it "Integrity to Spare".

Out to 150-200 yds, Hornady Interlock RoundNose is a Game Stopper.
Out past the^above range, Hornady Interlock SST's will do the job.

But, when the oilfield was doing good, and I was working all the time, I went with the Barnes TTSX and Norma Oryx.

Or, You can purchase a hundred or so of the WhiteTail Bullets that Jector has posted (I'd use the Doe, not the Buck), OR You may find a retailer that stocks Ron Whites Deer Bullets... They've got Headlights and a Horn on them. The reviews I've read on that bullet, state that the Deer run out in front of the bullet. Amazing!

There are alot of bullets to choose from. I'm a firm believer in TopNotch Bullet Construction.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Blue Grass

I choose bullets by what shoots well in that particular rifle and what the intended use is for that application. Cost does play a role. If Rem CoreLokt bullets give you acceptable accuracy, why pay for Swift or Berger?
Old October 25, 2009, 08:32 PM   #11
BruceM

I'm personally addicted to the 165 gr Sierra SPBT for my M70 .30-06. Unless you're shoot a very high velocity small caliber round, standard construction bullets in 150 -165 grain range will work great out of the '06 and most standard calibers as long as you get reasonable accuracy. For instance, the 165 gr Remington PSP CoreLokt just loves my BAR .30-06 and kills deer very dead.

The only bullet "failure" I've had was with a 117 gr Sierra SPBT @ 3000 fps from my M70 .25-06. Shot a large doe with it which was walking briskly thru an old aspen clear cut. I picked a sliver of a clear spot thru the 1 1/2"-2 1/2" aspen & fired when the crosshairs hit the shoulder at about 45 yards. It was my fault actually because the slug hit the front shoulder joint and exploded. Needed a quick follow up while she was flopping around on the ground. A couple of inches farther back and the bullet would have performed just fine.

Anyway, standard bullets work just fine for deer in the .30-06 under usual conditions.

Bruce
Old October 25, 2009, 08:44 PM   #12
GeauxTide

My experience has been with Hornady and Sierra 150s in the 308 and '06. At 2800-2950, they have paralyzed deer up to 175# with any shoulder area hit. I'd use CoreLockt over Bronze Points any day.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Jector

Thanks for the replies all! And here I thought you had to match the bullet to the press... Hornady red tips w/ Hornady press, Nosler green tips to RCBS, Barnes blue tips to Dillon, ahhhh the kool-aid.

Thanks again, I'm starting to get it.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:49 PM   #14
ibdecent

I chose barnes simply because of their devastating impact on game animals. I've loaded them up for .270 win and .325 wsm and both have sub-moa groups at 100 yds. i've put 3 of the .270 bullets in one hole. I plan on loading up some .30-06, .300 rem. ultra mag, .30-30 and .243 also. I've gotten great performance out of them so for, so why change? I've also recovered 2 bullets from my .325 from my backstop and they measured 180 grns. on the nose and complete uniform expansion through a 1 gallon jug of ice.

btw, I'm not one of those mysterians who are all worried about lead in game animals...butcher your meat correctly geeze.

Last edited by ibdecent; October 25, 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarifying point
Old October 25, 2009, 11:02 PM   #15
semi_problomatic

Choose your weight and style of bullet for the range and size animal you're going to shoot.

I load 168g Hornady A-MAX (the red tips) in my RCBS press. But I chose those because they had a high B.C. and I wanted to see how they did in my .308. I don't plan on killing anything with them. But any round can be loaded by any press (so long as you have dies etc.)
Old October 26, 2009, 06:01 AM   #16
gearheadpyro

I agree with the others, choose your bullet based on your target. For deer I use the 165 grain hornady SST's, 3/4" groups all day long and plenty of punch.
Remember that when you switch bullets, even if it is the same weight, you need to find a new load for it. I cannot go from a Hornady 165 gr sst to a Sierra 168 gr (listed in same weight range as 165's) and expect great performance. It will usually be close, but not quite. Cut your charge down and do a new workup for that bullet.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Jector

Quote:
I load 168g Hornady A-MAX (the red tips) in my RCBS press. But I chose those because they had a high B.C. and I wanted to see how they did in my .308. I don't plan on killing anything with them. But any round can be loaded by any press (so long as you have dies etc.)
Thanks. I was joking about matching the press and bullet colors, I've just read so many threads where the press brand loyalty (color) is thick, and I rather expected the same w/ bullets.
Old October 26, 2009, 10:19 AM   #18
BurkGlocker

I've loaded 165 gr SST's in my .308 for years for whitetail and hogs and havent had one take any more than ten steps before killing over. Most of the ones that I have shot with this bullet have been DRT. I have wanted to try Hornady's Interbond 165 grainers just for s***s and giggles, and being alot cheaper than most of the other bonded rifle bullets, its worth a shot. And according to Hornady, you can use the same standard published reloading data as the SST's which to me, is a plus.