The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Surculus Solitudo

.243 Javelina Reloads

I am going to reload for my .243 Weatherby Vanguard to hunt Javelina. What are your favorite bullets, powder, and recipies for lighter .243 cartridges? My rifle is the lightweight VGL model with the 20 inch barrel and a 1:10 twist. I am thinking about the 75 gr Hornady V-Max bulllet since I can't find it in 58 or 65 grain. I will be using new Winchester brass. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old October 12, 2009, 05:02 AM   #2
jsr76

you should use a hunting bullet. 85 grains would be a good start for anything above varmints. Use a style meant for things bigger than varmints also, not the vmax.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:09 PM   #3
azjohn

A 22 mag rimfire rifle is legal for javelina. I don't see any reason why the load you want to use will not work. Load em up and practice away. Shot placement is the key factor. A lot of animals larger than a javelina have been taken with a .243.
Old October 13, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
jsr76

Yes, they have, with game bullets. The .243 can go a bit faster than the .22lr, if you haven't noticed. I stand by my post. Use a game bullet. That speed with the wrong bullet doesn't penetrate. Been there, seen that.
Old October 13, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Primevalpapa

Try something that doesn't blow up like the varmint round. Those javelina are stinky enough without gut shooting one. Heck, I shot one in the head with a Ruger SBH 44Mag and it still smelled like a gut shot rabbit when I opened it up. I hope you know to get that scent gland off the back before you do anything else.

I would suggest that you use a hunting bullet that is loaded down a little. Go for accuracy not velocity. They are not that hard to kill.

I like the Nosler 100gr BT, 31.5gr IMR4064, CCI or Win primer. This gives about 2550fps. Not screaming fast by any means but real accurate out of our Win Ranger Youth model that my wife uses. As always - don't believe anybody elses load without looking it up yourself!

Did I mention that they are strong smelling? I hope you have a great hunt.
Old October 13, 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
azredhawk44

Quote:
I hope you know to get that scent gland off the back before you do anything else.
+1.

Another vote for a deer-style .243 bullet and good shot placement over a V-max.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:56 PM   #7
azjohn

Yes I know the difference between a 22mag and a .243. All I said was it would work. I never said it was the best load. I've seen guys using 06's on the overgrown rodents. I didn't blow my cool and call them stupid though. You might want to relax and ck your blood pressure before you post the next time. Have a nice evening.
Old October 13, 2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Christchild

My BEST suggestion (meaning Quality, not Quantity), would be Premium Bullets. They cost a bit more, yes, but about the same price as almost all other premiums, and cheaper than some.

100 grain Norma Oryx .243" (approx. $50-$60 per 100 bullets)

85 grain Barnes TSX .243" (approx. $30 per 50 bullets)

80 grain Barnes TTSX .243" (approx. $30-$35 per 50 bullets)

Superior Game Bullets.
Old October 14, 2009, 12:10 PM   #9
BigDog454

I've taken javalina with a 223, 55gr SP, Bang, flop. He never moved. A .243 with a 85 gr sp bullet should work just fine.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Surculus Solitudo

Thanks for all the replies.

I realize now that the Hornady V-max bullets are not the right choice for a havelina hunt. I am now looking at at Speer 85gr boat tail soft point. I can actually buy it off the web and I have a Speer manual with load data. And I can move that baby along at 3200 fps. I'm thinking that will put down a havelina. Any more thoughts?

PS...I've heard about that scent gland. I will talk to some friends about it and how to deal with it.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:31 AM   #11
jsr76

That bullet at potential speed will be very flat shooting, a good thing to have when shooting smaller game if it gets a bit longer in the yardage.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Surculus Solitudo

Quote:
That bullet at potential speed will be very flat shooting, a good thing to have when shooting smaller game if it gets a bit longer in the yardage.
That was exactly my thinking, JSR76. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Any other opinions?

Anyone...anyone...
Old October 22, 2009, 11:52 PM   #13
Surculus Solitudo

Anyone...anyone?
Old October 23, 2009, 12:47 AM   #14
wyobohunter

My .243 loves the 85 gr. Sierra Gameking HPBT over 44 gr. of H4350, avg. velocity is 3202 fps shooting my H&R Handi-Rifle through a chronograph. I also think that that bullet would do well against the little Javelina. I've weighed 200 of these bullets and they all weighed within 1/10th of a grain Extremely consistant for a non-match hunting bullet that costs under $25 per 100. I shot a largish Coyote with this load last winter. Shot angle was slightly quartering (away). Bullet entered rear portion of ribs and broke the far shoulder before exiting. If I remember correctly the range was about 85 yds. If this were an eating animal it wouldn't have ruined much meat, and if I'd planned on eating it I would've waited for a vitals only shot. I'm sure that the Javelina is a little thicker skinned/heavier boned, but I think this bullet would still kill with authority.

Or you could step up to a Gameking 100 gr SBT if you are concerned about penetration. Either way I can't recomend a more consistant hunting bullet for the same price.

Last edited by wyobohunter; October 23, 2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old October 23, 2009, 12:54 AM   #15
wyobohunter

Also...

If you are concerned with a flat shooting bullet. The higher ballistic coefficient heavier 85+ gr boat tail bullets will actually shoot just as flat as the shorter lighter bullets that have a faster initial velocity. The heavier bullets will also buck the wind better and penetrate better due to higher sectional density. I always stick to medium - heavy for caliber bullets for these reasons.
Old October 25, 2009, 10:52 PM   #16
Christchild

For "Normal" hunting distances/ranges, Hornady makes a 100 grain RN.

At the "usual" distances over which deer and hogs are taken, 200 yards or less, the Hornady Interlock RN is hard to beat, even with Premiums, and I'm a fan of, and advocate for, Premium Bullets. I prefer Barnes and Norma. I chose the Norma Oryx because Hornady doesn't offer the RN in .277", plus the Oryx is Bonded.

Check these out...... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=147814