The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2009, 07:49 AM   #1
jjhc

is a scratched case safe to load

i was expanding the necks on new .308 rem brass to load as .358 win. it was late and i was just looking at the necks so i did not notice the scratch untill after 30 cases. rcbs sizing die needs cleaned and or polished it was putting about a 1" scratch on the side of the case below the bottle neck are these safe to load and shoot.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:14 AM   #2
margiesex

I would, if...

Hello - well, I can't know for sure how deep the scratch is, but if it's not cracked through the brass, and there is no indentation, aka like a dent in your car door - I'd go ahead and load it up. They are pretty tough. You may want to make the case, however, so that after you load and fire it, you can recheck it again.

My guess is, it's fine - I've done it myself - it's sure easy to happen.

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old October 23, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Yep

but when your brass does crack, it will most likely be on the neck.
I do have some brass that did crack on the score line but it is a rare happing.

Take a 20 gauge mop with white rubbing compound. "Take your die apart totally" chuck the mop on a short rod into an electric drill, spin the drill between 200-300 rpm. Work the mop in and out of the die. Do this for about two minutes. This will polish the die.
The polishing compound will remove any galling on the inside and will remove less than 0.00002 of an inch.
I spin mine on a lathe. Brass on steel is a bad combination. That is why we use different lubes, Even though we use lube we still get galling in the die.
I polish all my dies this way. They are all in spec and some of the dies I bought back in the early 60s

Ed
Old October 23, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Big Don

Thanks

Ed, what a great idea. Thanks!
Old October 24, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
jepp2

I use Flitz metal polish instead of white polishing compound, but the results are the same. It will significantly reduce the effort required to size cases. It also works on cleaning pistol carbide dies if I notice I have picked up something and I am starting to mark the brass.

The interior of the die will look significantly different after polishing.

I pick up some surface scratches on 223 brass going through an AR15. As a test, I tried to get the case to fail by crushing it with vise grips at the scratch. The surface scratch did not make the case fail when being crushed.
Old October 24, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
minniedog2

I would shoot the case you rescribe
Old October 25, 2009, 07:14 AM   #7
TheNatureBoy

I've loaded scratched brass many times and haven't had any problems. If it isn't a deep gouge I think you'll be ok.