The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1
MrGee

Redding S dies

Ok i got a question on the redding S dies ... set came as marked complete.. had a neck sizing die, a body die an a bullet seat... do the bushing come out or able to move inside the die...??
dies marked .. 6M Br Rem. is that the same as 6M Br norma ?

thing is after running it thru the neck sizer i couldn't get the neck tight enough to hold a bullet in place with or without the decapping rod in place...ran the die up an down in all postions.. NADA...

case ID on a fired case is .244 ... after sizing it with this neck die read the same. no change

thanks in advance..
Old October 23, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Redding bushing dies ship without the bushing - to be ordered to fit your needs.

Redding bushing dies ship without the bushing - to be ordered to fit your needs. The instructions do include suggestions for what size to order.

Forster brand dies ship with 3 assorted bushings.

Likely enough there is no bushing at all inside the die body. Measure the neck diameter before and after a pass through the die and if the after diameter isn't what you want order a bushing to make it what you want - allowing for spring back which depends on the state of the anneal.
Old October 23, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
MrGee

Ah Ha ... ok thanks ... thought i was loosing it... i get a fired neck of .271, minus .243, an div by 2 give me 14thousands... with the dial calips i get 15.. so i guess i'm close enough

Old October 24, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
jepp2

You do understand the bushings are based only on the neck OD, right? The amount of grip will be based on a combination of the OD you go with and the neck thickness.

If you haven't tried the Redding carbide neck expander, they are NICE!!
Old October 25, 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
MrGee

i think so... i would need a .268 or .269 bushing for a .002 +/- grip

i sent the dies back ... i ordered the B series instead.. i'll control the neck with the expander ball with these i'm pretty sure the have diff sizes too

i wasn't gonna mess with the problem for that kind $'s...

thanks