The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 24, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Son of Seeker

Home defense with a knife.

Well here's a hypothetical question for ya: You wake up late at night because somthing went bump in the night, and all ya have to defend yourself is a hunting knife and the other person the house either isn't at home, or they are still very much asleep, what da ya do?
Old October 24, 2008, 12:50 AM   #2
KLRANGL

Go back to sleep... happens every night at my house... (im a real light sleeper)
Old October 24, 2008, 12:52 AM   #3
fbrown333@suddenlink

Call 911 and hide
Old October 24, 2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Inspector3711

Bail out the window and run like a wild man! You should always dial 911... If you can't for whatever reason and you have a wife and kids like me, then a knife may be your only hope. I'll die fighting with a knife before I let my family get hurt. Without the knife I'd have to use my fists. That said, I don't plan on dying! Hopefully it doesn't ever happen.
Old October 24, 2008, 05:23 AM   #5
alloy

be very quiet and wait.

id rather have a baseball bat.
Old October 24, 2008, 05:55 AM   #6
kjones

Try to anticipate where the unfortunate prick is going, wait behind a doorway. Surprising how even if you get someone in the forearm how useless that arm becomes. If they've got a gun and drop it, you just got a gun and a knife for the fight. Kyle
Old October 24, 2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Keltyke

ANOTHER "what if" thread???

To be armed with only a knife for HD is stupid, and, "You just can't fix stupid."
Old October 24, 2008, 08:44 AM   #8
ActivShootr

Quote:
Don't you just love 'em?

If all you have is a knife, make sure your bed is tall enough or your closet big enough for you to hide. Maybe the scary bad men will only rob you blind instead of taking your knife from you and hacking you to bits.

Good luck with that.
Old October 24, 2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Creature

Quote:
Well here's a hypothetical question for ya: You wake up late at night because somthing went bump in the night, and all ya have to defend yourself is a hunting knife and the other person the house either isn't at home, or they are still very much asleep, what da ya do?
YA take YA butt to the hospital...because YA probably just got YA butt handed to YA.
Old October 24, 2008, 09:16 AM   #10
cerberus65

First make sure the bump is something you have to defend against. I have a son that used to sleepwalk. And then don't get me started on wooden frame houses!

But if push comes to shove...

First off, +1 on this
Quote:
To be armed with only a knife for HD is stupid
Second, most kitchens have much larger knives than any hunting knife.

Third, +1 on the baseball bat. As long as you're not facing an armed burglar you're better of with the longer reach of the bat. Knives are intimidating but only if you know how to use them. And still you have to get way too close for comfort!

And fourth, with the price of a new Rem. 870 Express under $300 and a currently running $30 mail-in rebate, there's really no reason not to be prepared. A shotgun makes for a great security blanket. :-)
Old October 24, 2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Watch the Lifetime Movie Network - in every flic, a woman hears a noise and gets the big butcher knife from the wooden bloc in the kitchen. Then she prowls around the house and is killed.
Old October 24, 2008, 09:46 AM   #12
teeroux

Hide under bed and slash feet as they walk by if you knife is as sharp as mine they will be lucky to still have a foot to stand on. When they fall slash at everything else.
Old October 24, 2008, 09:50 AM   #13
ilbob

knives are very short range weapons that require substantial skill to utilize effectively for SD.

a baseball bat is a better choice IMO.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old October 24, 2008, 10:45 AM   #14
BanjoGunner

As I learned them, the rules of a knife fight are:

#1. Bring a gun.
#2. Bring friends..., with more guns.

I've been training with knives for ~6 months now and I simply cannot envision a time when I will feel confident defending myself with a knife, even against an unarmed attacker with rudimentary empty-hands fighting skills.

That being said, if a knife is the only thing I have to protect my wife/kids, I guess the die will have been cast and I'll do what I need to do. However, I don't have any rosy illusions/delusions as to how it might turn out.
Old October 24, 2008, 10:58 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I won't play into this "WHAT IF" as I have guns... No knife on the bed table.
I won't be without a gun by my bedside no matter where I am sleeping...
Brent
Old October 24, 2008, 11:27 AM   #16
KLRANGL

Im gona suggest against the baseball bat... Ever tried swinging one in close quarters? Even if you use it to keep the perp at a distance, getting around it or taking one isnt that hard...
If I had a knife, there is nothing I want more than to go up against a guy with a bat... If he has a knife, chances are im getting cut up pretty bad, but a bat? Game over for him... You just have to be willing to close the distance, which is hard when confronted with such bodily harm.

Though a bat may have a more psychological impact than my small SD knives, I'd trust me life to skill with a knife than the hope of scaring someone away...
Old October 24, 2008, 11:35 AM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:

Don't you just love 'em?
Not really .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread