The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
GJJ

Primer and powder storage question?

Can anyone give me some advise regarding storage of powder and primers. Common sense tells me to store them physically apart from each other and in a dry location.

Is there anything else I should know?
Old April 13, 2007, 01:23 PM   #2
rwilson452

If you store them in a cool dry place they will last longer than you do. IF a cool place is not available a temperature stable place is you next best bet. Store powder in the container you bought it in, keep the lid properly sealed. Keep primers in the container they came in and they will be safe. Black powder is explosive smokeless powder is not.
Old April 13, 2007, 01:24 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Dry location yes, separate isn't so important. Neither will jump off the shelf and explode. Smokeless powder doesn't explode and primers need to be hit to go off. If you have a shelf near or above your bench, that'll do nicely.
Old April 13, 2007, 04:00 PM   #4
K96771

Being somewhat paranoid, I play it safe and follow the above rules, but keep them in separate corners of the room.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:54 PM   #5
swmike

If you live in a real hot climate, store them in the refrigerator (the one in the garage) with the beer.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 13, 2007, 11:10 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...in the garage) with the beer..." Why would you keep the beer in the garage? My beer fridge is in the kitchen next to the coffee fridge.
Old April 14, 2007, 08:58 AM   #7
JDG

The last issue of Guns & Ammo, has us storing powder in one end of the house, and primers at the opposite. As others have said as long as the powder is sealed up, in the original container, youll be fine. My step Dad gave me a pound of W231, that is at least 20yrs old, it was stored in his damp basement, and it shoots great.
Old April 14, 2007, 03:47 PM   #8
swmike

Quote:
Why would you keep the beer in the garage?
It would be right next to my reloading bench and easier to grab one when heading back into the house at the end of a session.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 14, 2007, 06:43 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Smokeless powder doesn't explode" is not really true. It won't explode in the normal containers in which it is sold, since the can will blow apart long before enough pressure builds up to be explosive. But in larger quantities, the mass of the powder itself can cause enough pressure to result in an explosion.

Also, powder stored in, say a steel safe, could, if somehow ignited, cause the safe to act like a bomb and the result would be a real explosion.

So a loud second to the advice to store powder in the original containers, on an open shelf, separated from each other by partitions of at least 3/4" wood.

Store primers in the original containers in a separate area.

Cool and dry is the best environment.

Jim
Old April 14, 2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Friiguy

So storing them in the fire resistant (1200 degrees for 45 minutes) is not a good idea?