The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2019, 03:16 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Kahr PM40 and S&W Shield .40

I took a gander to see what used single stack .40s were going for on Gunbroker and discovered that the Kahr PM40's and S&W M&P Shield .40s seem to sell for $200 or less. Is this low price because they're not comfortable to shoot, general .40 disinterest, they're not good guns and don't last, or something else?

There's not too many single stack .40s that were made, excluding Hi Point, off the top of my head I can only think of Kahr, Smith, and Springfield.
Old June 24, 2019, 06:46 AM   #2
DMK

Quote:
general .40 disinterest
This. The US gun market can be very fickle.

The PM40 and Shield are both very good guns.

I have Shields in 9mm and 45ACP. It's a very controllable gun and a pleasure to shoot. .40 is a bit snappy in any gun, but it's a very good SD round and shouldn't be a problem in either gun with sufficient practice.
Old June 24, 2019, 07:57 AM   #3
HighValleyRanch

The .40 versions are going cheaper because many have moved down to 9mm. I was able to pick up my Kahr k40 for 400.00 used because it sat on the for sale list for so long.

That said, I did a comparison a couple of weeks ago with my K40 and my brothers .40 shield. THe Kahr had more muzzle flip to control, but the shield had sharper recoil coming straight back into the hand. I preferred the Kahr to the shield as I was considering moving over to the Shield because I already had a 9mm version. I decided to stick with the Kahr.

I was also shooting my Kahr PM9 and comparing the PM9 to my 9mm Shield, I'm moving over the the PM9 for my carry.
Old June 24, 2019, 11:23 AM   #4
TruthTellers

For the record, I already own a Glock 35 and 27, so I don't NEED another .40, but when I see the single stack's going for $200 or less, and I don't currently have a single stack, I start to think thoughts.

But for years I've said I think single stack 9mm's are better as they're more controllable, extra round capacity, etc.
Old June 24, 2019, 08:09 PM   #5
batmann

Of the two, I prefer the S&W.
I don’t care for the Kahr manual of arms. The Kahr I had, despite a couple of trip back, was never reliable.
You
Old June 25, 2019, 06:39 AM   #6
DMK

Quote:
That said, I did a comparison a couple of weeks ago with my K40 and my brothers .40 shield. THe Kahr had more muzzle flip to control, but the shield had sharper recoil coming straight back into the hand.
That makes sense. The K40 is an all steel gun and is significantly heavier than the Shield.

I've always been impressed with the ergonomics of the Shield. Not necessarily the controls which are nothing special, but the way the gun fits my hand and the way it feels when I shoot. It is more controllable and easier to make accurate shots at distance than I'd expect from a gun so small.
Old June 25, 2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
The .40 versions are going cheaper because many have moved down to 9mm.
The .40 versions are going cheaper because many have moved ACROSS to 9mm.

Fixed it for you.
Old June 25, 2019, 02:47 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

Thanks, I was going to say that for the touchy people!
Old June 26, 2019, 12:17 AM   #9
HighValleyRanch

Hmm, Truthtellers, I know you are looking for a single stack, and then a .45 acp......

Took the Kahr P45 to the range today and put about 150 rounds through it and wham, one hole groups all day long from ten yards! So soft shooting, and ACCURATE.
Just shooting hardball range ammo, and worked flawless except it didn't like aluminum cased blazers for some reason. Primer didn't go off on them a couple of times, so went back to WW white box stuff.
Old June 26, 2019, 12:52 AM   #10
Carl the Floor Walker

It is hard to beat a Kahr. They really make great products.
Old June 26, 2019, 10:23 AM   #11
shooter1911

I can't add much to what has already been said, but you can find some excellent buys in some very good guns in 40 cal today, due to nothing more than the popularity of the 9mm. Although I'm a die hard 45 guy, I have always respected the 40 cal as an excellent self defense round, especially in shorter barrels, compared to the 9mm. The down side is they are a bit snappy on the recoil, and 9mm is cheaper to shoot and does a pretty good job with proper ammo. I emphasize proper ammo because with 40 or 45 just about any ammo is pretty effective, but with the 9mm you must only shoot the very top of the line ammo to get good EDC results, especially in shorter barrels.