The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 19, 2019, 10:14 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

WW II German optics

Apparently most German scopes were not adjustable for windage. That was done at the depot level.

How well sealed were they? That is, were they nitrogen filled?
Old September 19, 2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Pahoo

Clear as a bell

Back in the late 90's, I acquired one and it was clear as a bell. As I recall, it did not have reticles as we know them, There was only a post that only adjusted for elevation. The top of the post ended with a pyramid. As I stated, it was clear as a bell and really can't see what other gas, other than Nitrogen is "practical'"

Be Safe !!!
Old September 19, 2019, 01:11 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...not adjustable for windage..." Neither were the Weavers and Lyman's on '03A4s, really. Windage on those was adjusted via the rear screws on the Redfield base.
Rifle scope technology was still in its infancy then. Don't think filling with nitrogen had occurred to anybody. First done by Leopold in 1947.
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/...copes-vii.html
Old September 19, 2019, 02:07 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

German optics covers a wide range of things, from the scopes on sniper rifles to the optic on the FG 42.

Generally not internally adjustable, the adjustment was in the mount. As mentioned, nitrogen filling didn't come until later.

I once found a scope for the FG42 on a "junk" table at a gunshow, for $5

Cute little thing, square where you'd think it should be round, reticle was 3 heavy posts (bottom and sides) it had some damage, part of the field of view had what looked like thick "ropes" of hair but the undamaged part of the view was decently clear.

External adjustment (in the mount) scopes were common in military use in that era, Shooters were generally trained to use "Kentucky windage" (hold off) for drop and wind, rather than adjust the scope (or mount). They guys who could do that well became snipers.

Scopes without internal adjustments were more durable than ones with internal adjustment, in that era and that was preferred by militaries over ease of adjustment.
Old September 19, 2019, 07:18 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think the scope for the G-43 and FG-42 had turrets but most for the Mauser 98K didn't. I hope you bought that FG-42 scope.
Old September 20, 2019, 01:32 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I did buy it, for $5, and gave it to a friend who collects such oddities. It wasn't until later that I did some research and found out what it was. All I knew at the time, was that is was some kind of odd scope.

Turns out, its worth quite a bit more than $5...oh well...